I was going through my iTunes music library and damn there are a lot of repeat song titles. Always looking for new post ideas, it hit me. What are the most over used song titles? Now I have a post idea and so I am going to bring you the Top 10 Overused Song Titles in music…or at least my musical library.
Now there were several that barely missed the cut. They were the following titles: “Free”, “Forever”, “Without You”, each with 12 titles in my library. And several with 11 songs including “Stand Up”, “Someday”, “Scream” and “Save Me”…a lot starting with “S” apparently.
10. “You”: I have 12 different songs in my library with this title. The artists are rather varied with The Afters, Black Stone Cherry, Bonnie Raitt, Buckcherry, Candlebox, Collective Soul, Elliott Yamin, Gotthard, Marvin Gaye, Richie Kotzen, Safetysuit and Keith Urban.
9. “Rise”: “Rise” also has 12 different songs in the library and a lot from Christian artists…go figure. The artists are Colton Dixon, Danny Gokey, Ed Kowalczyk, I Prevail, Katy Perry, Paul Laine, Rik Emmett, Robbie Seay Band, RSO, Sixx A.M., Skillet and Eddie Vedder.
8. “Heaven”: Another very popular one is Heaven which is another one that repeats itself 13 times. The artist are Black Tide, Bryan Adams (duh), Gotthard, Jake Owen, John Legend, Live, Los Lonely Boys, Stryper, Sugar Ray, Warrant, 3 Doors down, Otherwise and Nelly (again).
7. “One” or “The One”: I don’t think this is cheating as there is really no difference between “One” and “The One”…it counts really. We have 14 different songs on this name and I am sure you can think of some of these before I write them. They are Alanis Morissette, Backstreet Boys, The Bee Gees, Brandon Heath, Creed, Ed Kowalczyk (again), Ed Sheeran, Elton John, Filter, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Shakira, Tait and U2.
6. “Gone”: We are now up to 14 different songs on with the same song title. I could have added more if I would use Gone, Gone, Gone for 4 other bands, but I am sticking with just “Gone”. The artists are Daughtry, Fuel, Kelly Clarkson, Matt Nathanson, My Darkest Days, ‘Nsync, Pearl Jam, Red, Seventh Day Slumber, TobyMac, Will Hoge, 33Miles, Nelly and U2 (again)
5. “Believe”: Another 14 song title and another one that is somewhat religious along with “Rise” and “Heaven”…interesting. The artists on this one are Brooks & Dunn, Cher, Dee Snider, Elton John (again), Harem Scarem, Hollywood Undead, Jeff Scott Soto, Jon Secada, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Mainstay, Orianthi, Staind, Stryper and Yellowcard.
4. “Crazy”: There seems to be a lot with 14 versions because here is another. Crazy isn’t it!! The artists for this one are Aerosmith, Ben Rector, Bruck Kulick, Candlebox (again), Daniel Powter, Daughtry (again), Jack Russell’s Great White, Kenny Rogers, LeAnn Rimes, Royal Bliss, Seal, Shawn Mendes, Tait and Gnarls Barkley.
3. “Hold On”: The last one that has 14 different versions of the same song title. The artists are Alabama Shakes, Britny Fox, Deep Purple, Good Charlotte, Hyper Static Union, Korn, Limp Bizkit (again), Phil Wickham, Shawn Mendes (again), Slaughter, TobyMac (again), Triumph, 33Miles (again) and Sarah McLachlan.
2. “Home”: I thought this would have been #1 and was the reason I thought of this list. There was one that beat it it turns out. This song title is the title of 15 different songs by as many artists. It seems to be a song of comfort for these artists. I could have included songs like “Home Sweet Home” and things like that, but no…just “Home”. The artist are Alan Jackson, Alter Bridge, Black Shelton, Collective Soul (again), Daughtry (again), Dierks Bentley, Goo Goo Dolls, J.R. Richards, Marc Broussard, Michael Buble, Nickelback, Phillip Phillips, Shawn McDonald, Staind (again) and Three Days Grace.
#1 – “Breathe”: The winner is “Breathe” with 19 different songs in my library. I am not really surprised when I looked at the list, I just thought “Home” would be it. Oh well, I ain’t always right. The artists are Alter Bridge (again), Anberlin, Angels & Airwaves, Bon Jovi, California Breed, Collective Soul (yet again), Colton Dixon (again), Faith Hill (but of course), INXS, James Blunt, Jeremy Camp, Johannes Linstead, Michelle Branch, Pop Evil, Ryan Star, Sia, Taylor Swift, Ted Poley and Through Fire. That is a quite a few.
There is my list. This isn’t scientific at all, just my library; however, I am sure there is a lot of truth to it. And you can see from the artists, that there are a number of artists that are not very original with their song titles as they seem to go the easy way out with the simple, overused song titles (Collective Soul & Daughtry might be the guiltiest of this). Are there other songs that should be added or even artists to my list? Drop me a comment and let me know.