October is flying by and there are a bunch of new ones available this week…even Christmas albums if you are so inclined. There are some brand new bands, some old favorites and some fabulous reissues/deluxe editions. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know which ones you are interested in with a comment below. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Sons of Apollo – Pyschotic Symphony – (Inside Out Music): Another supergroup and another one featuring Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy. If you liked in The Winery Dogs, this is not the Winery Dogs. This is a much heavier band with Jeff Scott Soto on lead vocals rather than Richie Kotzen. Also on the record is Bumblefoot on guitar and Derek Sherinian that make this a massive group with a massive sound. Can’t wait to dive into this one.
- Europe – Walk the Earth – (Silver Lining Music): Europe is still putting out quality albums after 35+ years in the business. The took most of the 90’s off, but came roar back in the 2000’s and have been non-stop ever since. I have held off from listening to anything on this one yet as I want to take it in all at once.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 20th”
On September 29, 1992, the debut album ‘Core’ by the band Stone Temple Pilots was released to great fanfare. The album kicked off the career of what would become one of the best bands to come out of the 90’s. Well, on September 29, 2017, Stone Temple Pilots commemorated the 25th Anniversary of their stellar debut with a spectacular re-release of their debut album. I love how they were able to release on the same day as the original. And yes, I already had a copy, but now I have it again, but this time there is so much more.
What all do you get? Well, I am glad you asked. The set I bought was the Deluxe Edition. You can get a Super Deluxe Edition which had a T-Shirt and 16″x20″ Litograph, but I didn’t see that offered on Amazon as that might have been a STP website only purchase. The Deluxe had everything you see above which is as follows:
Continue reading “Stone Temple Pilots – Core 25th Anniversary Edition – Album Review”
Here we are on another Friday and another week of great releases. But before I get into that I just noticed that this is my 400th post since I started. Crazy to think it I have been able to think of that many things to write about and that people still come to check out the site. Pretty cool.
Okay back to the post…If you like rock, there is a plethora of new music. There is probably a little something for everyone. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are looking to pick up. I hope you find something. Have a great weekend.
- Revolution Saints – Light in the Dark – (Frontiers Records): Frontiers Records has a knack for putting together little supergroups. Most of the time those supergroups only last one album. Thankfully, Revolution Saints are back with record number two!! Who is in Revolution Saints you may ask (please ask)? Well, I am glad you asked…you get Jack Blades (Night Ranger and Damn Yankees), Deen Castronovo (Journey and Ozzy) and Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake, Dio, Dead Daisies). The first album was spectacular and expect more of the same greatness.
- Fozzy – Judas – (Century Media): When you hear the name Chris Jericho, what is the first thing you think of??? Wrestling?? No, Heavy Metal Music. Chris has been lead singer of Fozzy for 18 years and they are now on their seventh album with ‘Judas’. As I always, I look forward to hearing what they bring to the table each time and this time is no different.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 13th”
The band that brought us “Cult of Personality” back in 1988 is back after an 8 year hiatus from their last album. Living Colour released their new album, ‘Shade’ on September 8th 2017 and it sounds like this band has a lot to say. Their social commentary on today’s society is definitely worth listening to and not only will it open your eyes to life today, it will open your ears to some damn fine music.
The title of the album, ‘Shade’, has many different meanings for this album. It could be referring to the many shades of color the album brings in its different styles and sounds. Or is the band throwing ‘Shade’ at America and all that has been happening over the years. I think it is both, but you should listen and decide for yourself.
What I really love about this album is the variety of the songs. You, of course, get some hard rock, some funk, some blues and some hip hop and when they mix them up together in the song it gets even better. Corey Glover sounds amazing throughout as does Vernon Reid with his kick ass solos, Doug Wimbash’s bass thumping and Will Calhoun’s drum keep the timing set perfectly.
Continue reading “Living Colour – Shade – Album Review”
Well hold on to your hats, there is an abundance of new releases today. Over 27 albums on the list so there has to be something for you. For me, there are at least 10 I want to listen to, but I am sure I won’t make it through all of them. The ones I want are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you would like to buy or hear.
- Josh Todd & the Conflict – Year of the Tiger – (Century Media): If there isn’t a Buckcherry new album, I will take Josh Todd album and this one has me super excited. This one seems to be a little harder than Buckcherry and I like that. The harder the better baby!!
- Foo Fighters – Concrete and Gold – (Roswell Records): The Foo Fighters bring us another release and although my interest tends to fade over time, I still enjoy them and will give this one a listen. What I have heard so far has been promising so maybe they have put together a decent album…we will wait and see.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 15th”
Finally!!! The new releases start picking up. August was such a slow month, but it is about to get busy. The floodgates are opening and the new releases are coming in full force. So hold on and open your wallets, it is going to get expensive. This week gets off nicely and the ones I am interested in are highlighted in Blue. There should be something in here for everyone especially some great rock and a ton of country. Let me know what you like.
- Alter Bridge – Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities – (Napalm Records): Alter Bridge live is going to be good. You have the boys from Creed and Myles Kennedy who is one of the hardest working singers in the business between Alter Bridge, Slash and so many other projects, he is always working. There have been a lot of good live albums lately and this should be no exception. The plus side is there are a bunch of rare tracks on here as well that really has my interest.
- Jonny Lang – Signs – (Concord Records): Blues rocker Jonny Lang is back with his first album in 4 years and it has been way too long. I am looking forward to hearing some more of his guitar magic. With a new album from Kenny Wayne Shepherd and now Jonny, blues rock is alive and kicking.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 8th”
Welcome to another Friday of new releases. There is not a whole lot I am interested in and might give one or two a listen (highlighted in Blue) but still undecided. Next week will have more to offer. Hopefully there is something here for you. Since there isn’t many, I will leave some videos for a number of the artist so you can try them out.
- Nathan Angelo – A Matter of Time – (Nathan Angelo Music): Nathan Angelo is a singer/songwriter and more on the pop side. I have liked some of his older offerings, so if I am in the mood, I will throw this on and give it a spin.
- Steven Wilson – To The Bone – (SW Records): I am not familiar with Steven Wilson, but this song was good and has peaked my interest a little. Maybe I will play this one as well.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 18th”
Happy Friday! My busy season is just a couple weeks from being over and I can’t wait. I need some new music to get me through it, but it is a very weak week. Well, all except for one and it is highlighted in Blue. I hope there is something for you. Luckily I still have a few from last week to get through in more detail.
- Will Hoge – Anchors – (Bordello Records): One of my favorite singer/songwriters is Will Hoge and I love it when he puts out new music so I am super excited about this one. He is the man!! I think he is one of the best songwriters out there today and you must check him out. He is a little bit of rock, a little bit of country and a little bit of folk. He is a little bit of everything. I believe this is his 10th studio release if you count his two independent releases from early on in his career. He also has a bunch of E.P.s and Live albums.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 11th”