Rival Sons are now on their sixth studio album and we are just shy of 10 years since the debut album and I hate to admit that I had only been a casual fan throughout. That has since changed with the release of ‘Feral Roots’. There is no need to be casual as a deep dive is needed to explore all the textures they have delivered over the years.
Why the change of heart? Well, easily it is this album. But before we get into the good of this album, we have to explore the bad. What is bad about this album? Well, not a damn thing!
From the opening fuzzy guitar riffs of “Do Your Worst”, Rival Sons come out swinging with a pure rock & roll album. It is bluesy, it is heavy, it is retro, it is fan’freaking’tastic. This is what Rock & Roll music should sound like.
What is the best part of this album? Well, it is the drumming of Mike Miley. Not since Kiss’ Creatures of the Night album have the drums sounded so great and been such an integral part of the sound of an album. His NRA approved, machine gun barrage of drumming to open “Back in the Woods” had me screaming as I was driving down the road at 6am in the morning heading to work.
Continue reading “Rival Sons – ‘Feral Roots’ – Album Review”
Now we are in to full swing in the new year. The albums are starting to come out and today we have a long list of releases. There will hopefully be something for everyone. There are bunch I am interested in, but might not necessarily buy right now. They will be streamed to start with and I will pick up the ones I like the best. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you like or are interested in. Thanks and have a great musical weekend.
- Starbreaker – Dysphoria – (Frontiers Records): Tony Harnell and Magnus Karlsson team up again with the band’s third album and first in over 11 years…damn…way too long. It is metal, it is hard rock and it is usually great. Can’t wait to hear this one.
- Rival Sons – Feral Roots – (Atlantic Records): Rival Sons are one of those bands you just fall in love with immediately when you hear them. Now on their 6th studio album they just keep getting better. They are straight up rock & roll with a heavy blues influence and worth a listen. Give them a try.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 25th”
2019 is upon us and it is always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet. From what I have gathered around the internet, here are the bands that should have new albums out in 2019, but no dates announced yet. The ones I would give a try (and my kids) will be highlighted in Blue. The ones with Dates Announced are at the bottom of this post. The list is building up nicely!!
- Billy Eilish
- The Defiants
- Greta Van Fleet – (rumor already for new music)
- Hootie & the Blowfish (new tour has been announced)
- Michael Sweet
- Miley Cyrus
- The Raconteurs
- Rob Zombie
- The Cranberries
- Taylor Swift
- Tesla – Shock (Produced by Phil Collen of Def Leppard)
- Tori Kelly
- Whitesnake – Flesh & Blood (should be March)
Continue reading “What to Expect for New Music in 2019?”
Another great Friday of releases. The one I am most excited about is Scorpion Child. I hope there is something that gets your blood pumping. The ones in blue are the ones I will be listening to over the next couple of days.
- Scorpion Child – Acid Roulette – (Nuclear Blast America) – They are back and I couldn’t be happier. Their self-titled first album was a masterpiece. They have a classic rock sound with a modern edge. I can’t get enough of new bands that have that retro sound. This will be the first album I listen to in the car on the way to work.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 10th”