Happy Friday and thankfully the weekend is here. It is time for sun and fun and new music. There a few releases this week, but only a couple that I am really interested in and they will be highlighted in Blue. Take a look through and let me know what you are interested in hearing or buying and if there is anything I might have missed as that is known to happen. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!!
- Crazy Lixx – Forever Wild – (Frontiers Records): One of many Swedish hard rock and glam metal scene and they have been around since 2002. Only two original members left and they are Danny Rexon (Lead Singer) and Joel Cirera (Drums) and I am okay with it. They have hit and missed sometimes, but I am still interested in what they have to offer because it will probably be fun.
- Paul Gilbert – Behold Electric Guitar – (Mascot Label Group): The guitar extraordinaire from Mr. Big is back with another solo album. With a title like ‘Behold Electric Guitar’, I think you know what you are about to hear. More electrifying guitar work from a master player. How could this not be great? I guess we will find out soon enough.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 17th”
Rob Thomas has sort of been absent from my existence for quite some time. And that is on purpose. Years ago, I got a little Rob Thomas burn out. So, I stopped listening to him and Matchbox Twenty. When I saw he had a new album coming out, I figured it was time to open up my world to a little Rob Thomas again.
Rob’s last album was ‘The Great Unknown’ back in 2015 and after 4 years, he thought it was time to come back with some new music. So, the album came out and I dropped the needle (not really, I pushed play on my phone but you get the point). The album is 12 songs and at less than 40 minutes in length, it was a quick listen. Almost perfect for my drive to work.
And what do you get? You get a simple set of songs that are so well crafted and so catchy and pure pop bliss. Rob has delivered an album that is so spot on and refreshing that you walk away with such a big smile after listening that you have to hit repeat and play it again. Maybe my time away has made me long for that great voice and the Rob Thomas sound, but whatever it is, this album is that jolt of lightning I needed and has quickly become a favorite for the year.
Continue reading “Rob Thomas – ‘Chip Tooth Smile’ – Album Review”
Happy Friday!! It is when there are new releases that I want and this has a few. Some I will buy and some I will stream, but it is new music and that is what I look forward to on Fridays…well that and the work week ending. Let me know what you are looking forward to hearing this weekend and let me know if I am missing anything. Mine are marked in Blue. Have a great listening weekend!!
- Whitesnake – Flesh and Blood – (Frontiers Records): The first album with Joel Hoekstra on lead guitar and around 8 years since the last album of new material. That is quite a break. Now, I haven’t listened to anything yet as I want to listen to it all for the first time at once. I hope it is heavy, loud and simply fantastic.
- Sammy Hager & the Circle – Space Between – (BMG): Sammy and Micheal Anthony seemed to be joined at the happy and Michael is part of every project Sammy does (except the Tequila business). This one throws Vic Johnson on guitar and Jason Bonham on drums. Another one I haven’t listened to anything yet. I will take it all in at one time.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 10th”
Welcome to May and a very dismal week of releases…at least for me. There isn’t much I am interested in this week which will hopefully help me catch up on what I missed while on vacation. There is one I am interest in and another I might check out, but that is all. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what interests you or if I missed anything. Or just stop by and say hi! Whatever floats your boat. Have a great weekend!!!
- Joy Williams – Front Porch – (Sensibility Records): Is she the better half of the band The Civil Wars that were together from about 2009-2014? I don’t know. I guess that depends if you liked her voice or John Paul White’s voice better. I love her voice and enjoyed her first solo album after the breakup, so I am looking forward to hear what new she has to offer. The band was more American folk and I can you classify her that still. Whatever you want to definite it, it is some great songwriting.
- New Found Glory – From the Screen to Your Stereo 3 – (Hopeless Records): NFG has been hit or miss over the years. I am not sure I will enjoy this at it their 3rd covers album, but you never know what you will get so I might give it a shot. Just glad to see a band from the 90’s still going at it as it seems a lot of bands from that decade aren’t around anymore.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 3rd”
I should be arriving home today from vacation in Paris, France so I will be a little late getting to these releases, but there are a bunch I want to at least listen to first before I buy. All my choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in or if there is something I might have missed as that happens…a lot!! Enjoy and have a great weekend. I know I will be resting from this trip and I am sure suffering major jet lag.
- Rob Thomas – Chip Tooth Smile – (Atlantic Records): The former Matchbox 20 frontman is finally back with a new solo album after four years. I liked his early stuff and definitely early Matchbox 20. I am hoping he captures a little of that lost magic, but I don’t know yet as I haven’t listened to anything yet, not even the video posted below. I will try it out, he has earned that.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela – Mettavolution – (Rubyworks): This might actually be first up on the playlist. I love these two. Their instrumental, flamenco style music is at times breathtaking. High expectations as I have never been disappointed before. Give them a listen if you have heard them before…it is really cool.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 26th”
Today is Good Friday!! In more ways than I can explain right now. Easter is this weekend and, the kids are out of school for a week…oh what should we do!! First, we should check out the new music. There isn’t a whole lot as it is Easter weekend. Only one that I will definitely listen to and the rest…maybe or maybe not. My choices are highlighted in Blue.
- JohnnySwim – Moonlight – (Johnnyswim): Johnnyswim are a husband/wife duo who I am not that familiar with. I saw them open for Needtobreathe and I really enjoyed the show, so I will be checking them out. Plus Chip Gaines of Fixer Upper loves them and his wife had them play for his birthday…I don’t think I could afford to have any band play for my birthday!!
- Rolling Stones – Honk – (Universal Music): Yes, another greatest hits package from the aging rockers. This was to be for their upcoming tour which is now postponed due to Mick having heart surgery. Prayers out to you sir!! I will spin it, but when I feel in the mood for it. Won’t be rushing out to get.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 19th”
A number of new releases this week across a vast array of genres. There is probably something for everyone this week. We have Alternative, Christian, Indie, R&B, Country, Metal, EDM, AOR, Bubble Gum Pop and who knows what else. There a few that interest me, but don’t necessarily excite me where I am running out and buying anything. A few I want to listen to and they are highlighted in Blue as always. Let me know what interests you or if I missed anything. Enjoy listening and have a great weekend!!
- Band of Skulls – Love is All You Love – (SO Recordings): This English band is back with their 5th album and they are quite interesting and worth a listen. They are part Blues Rock, Indie Rock, Stoner Rock and just plain Hard Rock. They are a little of everything and that is what is great about them. Give them a try if you haven’t already.
- Danny Gokey – Haven’t Seen It Yet – (Sparrow Records): Christian artist and former American Idol hopeful releases his fourth album and I was pleasantly surprised by how good his last album was that I will be checking this one out as well. It is towards the pop realm in Christian music, but his voice is fantastic and the lyrics are great. If you need something uplifting, this should fit the bill.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 12th”
Tesla decided to make a new album after saying the last one was…well the last one. Thankfully, that is not the case. Tesla’s new album is called ‘Shock’ and there has been a lot said of this new album and about how much it sounds like Def Leppard since it was produced by Phil Collen, lead guitarist of the band.
And let me tell you, they are 100% RIGHT!! It really does!! Mostly, it is from the backing vocals. On a lot of the songs, the backing vocals have been done in the same way Lep does it. In fact, all the backing singers sound exactly like Phil. Now, I am not saying sounding like Lep is a bad thing. It is, however, a little distracting and a little detracting.
From the opening track, “You Won’t Take Me Alive”, “Taste Like”, “I Want Everything” and “Afterlife” it is the classic Lep sound. They aren’t bad songs at all and they do grow on you with each listen. It is just strange. At times I feel like I am listening to a Lep album with a new lead singer.
The album is also very soft at time. It has several ballads (“We Can Rule The World”, “Love is a Fire” and “Forever Loving You”) and even a breezy little song called “California Love Song”. At times you could compare this album to Def Leppard’s X (often called the “Love” album for it’s ballad heavy track list).
Continue reading “Tesla – ‘Shock’ – Album Review”
Welcome to April and another Friday of new releases. This week there are a handful of decent releases but nothing I am freaking out about. There are a couple I will give a spin and others I will have to see when I can fit it in…if at all. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what interests you or if I missed anything. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!!
- Mike Tramp – Stray from the Flock – (Deko Music): The former White Lion frontman continues his long solo career with another new release. Since we will never get White Lion again, I will take this as his solo stuff is usually interesting although I don’t like everything, he still gets a listen. I haven’t heard anything yet and I will wait until I can spin the whole thing all at once.
- Brooks & Dunn – Reboot – (B&D2/Sony): Okay, I give country music a hard time…well because new country sucks. But Brooks & Dunn aren’t new country. They have been away for a long while and I am happy they are back. However, I am disappointed it isn’t new material. Instead it is re”boots” of old classics with today’s country artists. I did say today’s country sucks, so this ain’t too promising. The Kacy Musgraves one could be cool though.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 5th”
March is over and it will go out with a ton of releases this week. There is something for everyone with this many releases. We have metal, rock, alternative, country, R&B, jazz and christian music all to be heard and spun. Actually, for me, there isn’t much I am interested in and I will highlight those in Blue. Let me know what you found and if I missed anything. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend. If you want to see a bunch of the new releases coming over the next couple months, click New Releases here or at the top of the page.
- Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep – (Darkroom/Interscope Records): Okay, this one is on my list because it is my oldest daughters favorite artist right now and apparently a lot of people are digging her. She is VERY DARK in her attitude, music and especially the lyrics. But she has something that is the “IT” factor right now. A lot of her stuff is a little too weird, but some songs really knock it out of the park. I will be listening to this one a lot…and not all by choice.
- L.A. Guns – The Devil You Know – (Frontiers Records): Is this the real L.A. Guns or one of the two touring bands with the same name?? Kidding…a little. Either way, I will give it a spin and see what this old band still has to offer.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – March 29th”