Happy July 4th Weekend. Man, this country needs to celebrate something because right now, there hasn’t been much worth celebrating. This country is more fractured than ever, hopefully the rise of protests will actually bring some much needed and long overdue change. We will see. Anyway, back to the music. There aren’t many releases this week because usually releasing around a holiday isn’t good for sales, but no one told these artists. There is only one I am actually interested in (in Blue) and hopefully there is something for you. Tell me what you want to hear and what I missed. Thanks and have a great weekend!!
- Trapt – Shadow Work – (Crash Collide): This California based rock band is back on their 8th album and I have followed them off and on through all their line-up changes and they still have the lead singer and bass player as original members which I am good with. It is solid, modern rock and something great to have on when I need something a little heavy. Looking foward to see what they bring to the table this time around after 4 years since the last one.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – July 3, 2020”
- Willie Nelson – First Rose of Spring – (Sony Music): Willie is back!! That is enough for me. I might get around to this one when I have time as he as earned that.
I can’t believe June is now over. When the Covid-19 stay at home orders started, the days creeped on by and first and then when we got in to a routine, they started flying and now we are over 3 months later and time seems to be going faster. At least we aren’t on stay at home orders anymore. Enough babble, we have to get to the main point of this post…the new releases that are out. There are not a lot of choices today as Covid strikes again with several releases being moved til later (thank you Kansas and Neon Trees). I’m really only interested in one and curious in another. There are in Blue. Let me know what you want to hear or if I missed anything that should be noted. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!!
- Will Hoge – Tiny Little Movies – (Edlo Records / Thirty Tigers): I discovered Will on his second album back in 2003 and was instantly blown away. He has certainly grown since then and is one hell of a story teller. His protest songs are amazing and the musicianship is outstanding as well. Basically, he can do no wrong. Any new music from him is welcomed with open ears!! If you like country flavors with a little rock and folk, then grab this one now. This ain’t your bro-country and thank God for that!!
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 26, 2020”
- Grey Daze – Amends – (Loma Vista / Concord Records): Chester Bennington is back from beyond. This was a project of Chester and I believe it was his first band. They were able to finish the album with Chester’s vocals and I have liked what I’ve heard so far. He is missed!!
Welcome back, you made it through another week and you should be proud as who knows what the world threw at us this week as each week it seems to be something worse than the last. But at least the world is giving us some new music and that makes it all better. There are a handful of new music I am looking forward to getting and those are marked in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in, if anything, and tell me what I missed. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a fabulous weekend!
- Whitesnake – The ROCK Album (2020 Remix) – (Saltburn / Rhino): In the first of 3 albums in a new series by Whitesnake, the Rock album is a bunch of remixes of old songs with one new one I believe. The other two will be out later in the year and in to next year are The Love Album and The Blues Album. I am glad the Rock starts it all off. This will finish up my David Coverdale Review series nicely until the other albums come out that is.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 19th, 2020”
- Switchfoot – Covers E.P. – (Fantasy Records / Concord): Ah, I love me some Switchfoot and although not an album of new material, we get a small collection of cover songs. At least these aren’t your standard fare. You get a cover from Frank Ocean, The Chainsmokers, Vampire Weekend and more. Should be interesting.
Welcome to Friday…you made it! Another week in the books and for your reward, here are a bunch of new releases for your listening pleasure. It is Frontier Records monthly release so there are at least 5 from that label alone. You get a lot of rock this week and even a little Norah and who doesn’t want that. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are looking forward to hearing and what I may have missed. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend!!
- House of Lords – New World…New Eyes – (Frontiers Records): I have been following House of Lords since their debut in 1988 thanks to Gene Simmons. Gene produced their first album and now here we are 32 years and 12 albums later and they are still going strong. Can’t wait to see what they have to offer…
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 12th, 2020”
- BPMD – American Made – (Napalm Records): A heavy metal supergroup featuring from Overkill vocalist Bobby “Blitz” Ellsworth, Vio-lence and former Machine Head guitarist Phil Demmel, and two members of Metal Allegiance–bassist Mark Menghi and drummer Mike Portnoy. Dang, not bad. Portnoy has to be the busiest man in music history. The number of albums and bands he is in is absolutely insane. The man can’t sit still.
There was a big week last week and this week was much bigger than it wound up as a lot of releases were moved due to Covid-19. What you do have is a limited selection and some cool stuff though I not much I want to check out. My choice is highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are digging and what I might’ve missed as it does happen. Thanks for stopping by and have a Great Weekend!!
- The Sword – Conquest of Kingdoms – (Craft Recordings / Concord): The Sword are bringing 2 releases in very close proximity. First up is this compilation of live songs and some rare oddities. The other is a greatest hits compilation coming on June 19th with more rare songs. This release today is digital only, but the physical product will also be on the 19th. Here is a Kiss cover of “She”.
And the rest…
- Emery – White Line Fever – (BC Music)
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 5th”
FINALLY!! A Massive Week of new releases. I mean this is the biggest week since this whole Corona outbreak started and thank goodness. We need this!! There a lot on my list this week…a whole lot. They are highlighted in Blue as usual. What interests you, what did I miss, what what what??? Please let me know. I hope you have a great weekend and you know what I’ll be doing!!! Thanks for stopping by.
- Def Leppard – Hits Vegas (Live) – (Bludgeon Riffola Ltd): Def Leppard has two out this week…that is right…TWO!! You can also get it as one BluRay or DVD set that has both albums on CD and in Video format which I have the BluRay version coming to me. This is the disc I am more excited about, the Vegas Residency Show as they tend to play a lot of DEEP DEEP CUTS and that is what the collector in me wants.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 29th”
- Def Leppard – Hysteria at the O2 (Live) – Bludgeon Riffola Ltd): Release #2 is for the London gig where they played the Hysteria album in its entirety which I already have from the Viva! Hysteria Vegas show years back, but the completist in me has to have this one too.
Finally!! Yes, there are some albums I am actually excited about this week. It has been awhile for me since the last week that anything I was anxiously awaiting. This week, I have two that will definitely get a spin first thing in the morning while I am sitting at home in my office like I have for the last two months…I can’t wait to sit in traffic and drive to work. I never thought I would say that!!! Anyhoo, my choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in hearing and what I may have missed. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!!
- Dennis DeYoung – 26 East, Vol. 1 – (Frontiers Records): I couldn’t tell you the last time a Dennis DeYoung record got any press, but this one is making the rounds. I have heard nothing but positive comments on this one so far, so it has really piqued my interest. I have heard there is a strong Styx element and why wouldn’t there be as he was a huge part of that sound. We will see.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 22nd”
- One Desire – Midnight Empire – (Frontiers Records): Okay, this one might the first one getting a spin this morning. These two songs I have heard so far are a couple of the best I’ve heard this year. If you like some solid guitar driven, heavy melodic rock with a guy that can sing his heart out, this is the one for you to hear. I think this is going to be the one to beat this year.
Another week has passed and another week impacted by Covid-19 as many releases scheduled for today originally are now later in the year. A few brave souls have stuck to their guns and are releasing their albums still to our enjoyment. As the U.S. is slowly opening back up and some stores are open again, we will see how things go. I won’t be venturing out as much at first, but I need to hit a record store soon as the shakes are starting to get bad. Withdrawal sucks!! Until then, my choice for this week is highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you like or anything I may have missed. Thanks and have a great week.
- Colton Dixon – Colton Dixon E.P. – (Atlantic Recording): Christian pop artist Colton Dixon is finally back after the stellar album from 2017, Identity. That is a high mark to beat so I will be happy if he is anywhere near the greatness of that one. Sadly, this is only an E.P….give us a full album soon Mr. Dixon!!! Please!!!
And that is it for me. The rest has some promising stuff and maybe the Jason Isbell will get listened to, we will wait and see…
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 15th”
- Asking Alexandria – Like a House On Fire – (Sumerian Records) – Digital Only – physical copy June 26th
The second Friday in to May and more bands have moved their releases to later in the year. Covid-19 is taking its toll on music for sure. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any brave artists still willing to dare release an able in these times. I salute you and since there is been so little out the last few weeks, I am will to try a few this week. I will highlight those in Blue as usual. Let me know what interests you and what I missed this week. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!!
- Butch Walker – American Love Story – (Ruby Red Records): Singer/Songwriter/Rocker/Producer – jack of all trades, Butch is back with another solo album. His resume is pretty impressive and I think he had been working with Matt Nathanson lately, who I love, so Butch will get a listen.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 8th”
- Fake Names – Fake Names – (Epitath): Punk rock supergroup Fake Names – which includes Brian Baker (Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Bad Religion), Michael Hampton (S.O.A., Embrace, One Last Wish), Dennis Lyxzén (Refused, International Noise Conspiracy, INVSN), and Johnny Temple (Girls Against Boys, Soulside)…yeah, this line-up is worth a spin.
Happy Friday! I hope this post finds everyone still functioning after being homebound for way too long! At least we have new releases to look forward to and there is a nice long list. It was longer, but a bunch got moved to later in the year. There is enough variety that hopefully you will find something. This is where I would normally say my choices are highlighted in Blue, but you won’t see any of those this week as there is nothing really that floats my boat. Hopefully that isn’t the same for you. Let me know what you find interesting and what I may have missed. Hang in there and hopefully this will all be over soon. Have a great weekend.
- The Used – Heartwork – (Big Noise Music Group)
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 24th”
- Brendan Benson – Dear Life – (Third Man Records)