The album that broke Whitesnake in the US finally gets its ‘Ultimate Special Edition release celebrating 35 years as the original UK album was released in 1984. 35 years is crazy to think about. In those 35 years, this album only gets better.
This special edition consists of 6 CDs, 1 DVD, 1 Book, 1 Tour Program replica and 1 Album Cover Poster. And it has over 100 tracks amongst all the discs. Here is everything you get.
Now of course that 100+ tracks is misleading and this set is truly for the ultimate fan. Why? Because the set repeats the songs a lot. Because the set repeats the songs a lot. Yes, I wrote that twice on purpose.
Let me explain by jumping in to the album right away and we will talk about the first 3 discs as they go together.
Continue reading “Whitesnake – ‘Slide It In’: the Ultimate Special Edition – Album Review”
Finally!! A fantastic week of releases. There have been some okay weeks, but this one has the most so far that I am interested in this year. So, I am not going to ramble on and on…my choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in hearing or anything I might have missed. Happy Friday!!
- Whitesnake – Slide It In (35th Anniversary Ultimate Special Edition) – (Rhino Records): Whitesnake has a knack for delivering fantastic box sets, if you don’t believe me just check out the Unzipped and ’87 Box Sets I have reviewed. This one seems even better. 6 Cds including the US & UK releases remastered, live shows and demos/remixes and whatever else they throw in. Oh, and you get a DVD full of videos and interviews…No Brainer!! Ordered and will be at the house when I arrive home from work
- Tesla – Shock – (Universal Music): Tesla has been going strong since the 80’s and this one brings us a little twist. Producing the album is none other than Phil Collen from Def Leppard. Teslas has opened for Lep many, many times and a bond has been formed. Can’t wait to hear what Phil pulled out of the guys…I am sure it will be fantastic.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – March 8th”
Happy Friday and welcome to another Friday of New Releases. If you like hard rock and heavy metal, might be a good week for you…otherwise, not much else. For me, it is slim pickings this week with only 2 I am mildly interested and a decent Tom Petty greatest hits collection. Outside of that, nothing else for me. My choices are in Blue. Let me know if there is something you like or anything I missed. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Queensryche – The Verdict – (Century Media Group) – Ever since Geoff Tate left, I haven’t given them much of a fair shake, but that will change with this album. I am going to give it a spin and see wha the buzz is about. Todd La Torre definitely has the chops as the lead singer so he deserves a chance. I will let you know what I think.
- In Flames – I, The Mask – (Eleven Seven Music): This band has been around since 1994 and yet I didn’t discover them until their last album ‘Battles’ in 2016. I will check this out and maybe start exploring their back catalog of about 11-12 albums. They are a Swedish metal band if you were interested, pretty heavy stuff.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – March 1st”
The last week of February, the last week of new releases for the month and the Last in Line is all I am interested in hearing. There are a handful of releases this week so hopefully there is something for you. Mine is highlighted in blue as usual. Let me know what you want to get or anything I might have missed. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Last in Line – II – (Frontiers Records): The former Dio band consisting of Vinny Appice, Vivian Campbell (Def Leppard), Andrew Freeman and now Phil Soussan. They aren’t playing Dio songs, but their own material. I like Viv and Vinny so I will give it a try and see what they have to offer this time around.
- Gary Clark Jr. – This Land – (Warner Brothers): What an utter talent. His blend of rock and blues has been hailed by Prince and even President Obama…so that should be enough to sway you to check him out. Seriously, check him out. You will not be disappointed. And for this album…he has a lot to say!!! Damn!! He needs to be heard!!
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 22nd”
Welcome to the day after Valentine’s Day. I hope everyone was with the one you love or at least loving the one you were with. And if you didn’t have anyone, that is okay too. Maybe there is something on here you could love. There is a little for everyone. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in and what I might have missed. Have a great weekend.
- Avril Lavigne – Head Above Water – (BMG): Avril Lavigne, what can I say. I actually dig her stuff. I am not afraid to admit it. Even if she married the guy from Nickelback. I won’t hold that against her. I haven’t heard anything off this one yet, but that won’t deter me from giving it a listen as she has earned that respect. Oh yeah, the cover of the album is quite nice!
- Jon Fratelli – Bright Night Flowers – (Cooking Vinyl Ltd): I love the Fratelli’s so can’t wait to hear Jon do another solo album. His last one I enjoyed so why would this one be any different. Give him a try, you will like it.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 15th”
Happy Friday! I can’t wait for the weekend! Why you ask? Duh, no work and all music all the time!! Not a whole lot this week, but a couple I will try out and they will be highlighted in Blue. Let me know if there is anything for you or let me know what I am missing out on. Hopefully there is something for you…I know that Bolton one is calling everyone’s name…”Listen to me (insert name here)”.
- 7eventh Time Down – Brand New Day – (BEC Recordings): A Christian rock band or pop rock…whatever you want to call it…I will give it a try. I have enjoyed their first few albums and there is always one or two songs that blow me away so hoping for more of that. I just like the positive messages and the good grooves. Check them out! (Update…I guess I need to stop doing these three weeks ahead because this got moved to March 1st…sorry about that).
- Sister Hazel – Fire E.P. – (Croakin’ Poet Records): I remember their 90’s hits (or at least “All for You”) so why not see what they have to offer in 2019. They are doing a lot of E.P.s. They did two last year (Water & Wind) and now comes Fire. I think I missed the other two so I will check this one out and go back and listen to the others.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 8th”
Wow, how are we already in to February. Time flies when you’re having fun. We are having fun…right??? Anyway, we don’t have a ton of releases…only 6 on my list this week. And maybe I will give them all a listen, I haven’t decided. There are two on my list this week for sure, the rest will make some time, if at all. Let me know if there is anything you are interested in or if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great music weekend.
- Tom Petty – The Best of Everything: The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016 – (Geffen Records): An extensive greatest hits collection for the Tom Petty fan consisting of 38 tracks from his Heartbreaker work, his solo work and even his Mudcrutch work. It is a pretty great track list with 2 unreleased tracks and an essay by Cameron Crowe. All just spectacular and must have for every Petty fan. (UPDATE: Apparently this got moved at the last minute to March 1st because when I wrote this up it was due to drop on Feb. 1st…sorry about that)
- American Authors – Seasons – (Island Records): This pop rock, alt rock band is back with their 3rd album. They have pretty great songs, but this one is attracting me more because of the two songs I have heard are exceptional. One with Billy Raffoul on it called “Say Amen” and the other is “Neighborhood” with Bear Rinehart from Needtobreathe. These are two people I really, really like and want everything they do so this is on my list for sure.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 1st”
Welcome to the First Friday New Releases of the New Year!! I hope 2019 is full of musical joy all year long. Let’s kick it off with this first, very limited, batch of releases to get the year started. There is some pop, some country, some metal and alternative. Hopefully something for you. Unfortunately nothing is jumping out at me as have to have, but will probably try the Taking Back Sunday one as they are usually good. Let me know what you like or what I missed. Have a great weekend!!
- Taking Back Sunday – Twenty – (Concord Music Group): Celebrating 20 years together as a band, TBS is back with a greatest hits compilation with 19 great tracks and 2 brand new songs. Might be worth it just for those 2 new ones. Here is one of their first hits, give it a view & a listen.
- Soilwork – Verkligheten – (Nuclear Blast)
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 11th”
2019 is upon us and it is always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet. From what I have gathered around the internet, here are the bands that should have new albums out in 2019, but no dates announced yet. The ones I would give a try (and my kids) will be highlighted in Blue. The ones with Dates Announced are at the bottom of this post. The list is building up nicely!!
- Billy Eilish
- The Defiants
- Greta Van Fleet – (rumor already for new music)
- Hootie & the Blowfish (new tour has been announced)
- Michael Sweet
- Miley Cyrus
- The Raconteurs
- Rob Zombie
- The Cranberries
- Taylor Swift
- Tesla – Shock (Produced by Phil Collen of Def Leppard)
- Tori Kelly
- Whitesnake – Flesh & Blood (should be March)
Continue reading “What to Expect for New Music in 2019?”
The year is almost over so it is time to look back at what was awesome in music during the year. I have already looked back at the Top Rock Albums of 2018 (click to read). This list will cover all other genres that I listened to over the year including Pop, Country, Christian and whatever other genre you want classify these albums. Rock is my favorite genre and that is why it gets it’s own list, but that doesn’t take away from any of these choices as I think they are great on their own.
Note: These albums were my favorites and not necessarily the most played on the radio (which I hate the radio) or even the biggest sellers. There aren’t the trendy indie bands on everyone else’s top albums list. These are just what I came across during the year and connected with me in some way. So, we might as well get started…
The #1 Album of 2018
Matt Nathanson – Sings His Sad Heart: Man, what can I say about this guy. He is my favorite singer/songwriter out their right now and has been for sometime. Within just a couple listens to this album I felt like I knew all the words and I was singing right along like I had grown up with these songs. And how do you know an album is great, you keep singing it when you aren’t even listening to it. Yes, I was and I am still singing. The songs “Mine”, “Way Way Back”, “Used To Be” “Long Distant Runner” and “Best Drugs” are some of my favorites but there is not a bad song. Perfect!!
Continue reading “The Top Albums of 2018”