Things might finally start heating up. No, not the weather it has been pretty damn hot for awhile. I am talking about new releases. What has felt as a pretty lackluster year so far in new releases, maybe it is time for some good ones to start coming out. I have 2 this week, one of which is on pre-order and the vinyl should be there when I get home. My choices this week are marked in Blue. Let me know what you want to hear or if I missed anything. Have a great weekend!!!
- Scott Stapp – The Space Between the Shadows – (Napalm Records): The former lead singer of Creed and the very short stint with Art of Anarchy, Scott comes back with his third solo album. It has been 6 years since the sensational ‘Proof of Life’, so high expectations for me as that is a favorite. I have the vinyl on order and can’t wait to drop the needle. The opening single, “Purpose of Pain” is great so this should be another homerun.
- Through Fire – All Animal – (Sumerian Records): Justin McCain, lead singer of Emphatic, is on his second band and second album with Through Fire’s new album ‘All Animal’. The first was a heavy dose of rock that is right up my alley. Looking for more of the same and will be cranking this one up pretty damn loud!!
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – July 19th”
We are in the second half of the year now and I was hoping for that releases would start to get better after a lackluster first half. Well, so far, my hopes are dashed. It is another blah week. There is one on the list I will listen to and it is mainly because my kids will be listening to him. It is highlighted in Blue. Hopefully something floats your boat. Let me know what that might be or if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great weekend!!
- Ed Sheeran – No. 6: Collaborations Project – (Asylum Records): This album would excite me, BUT, it is a collaboration album…boring!! No interest whatsoever. He is best when it is just him…he doesn’t need anyone else so not sure why do this. It could turn out to be fantastic, who knows.
- 311 – Voyager – (BMG): Ok, this one could be interesting. I haven’t really listened to much of them since the 90’s, but hey, I need something to listen to this week so why not.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – July 12th”
We are halfway through the year now, can you believe it? I have to say, I haven’t been blown away by the first 6 months of releases, heres hoping to a better second half. In this final week of June there are a handful of releases I am looking forward to and they are highlighted in Blue. Hopefully there is something in the list that will connect with you and if there is, let me know which one. Also, let me know if I missed anything as it helps our readers find new music. Thanks and have a great weekend!!
Oh yeah…I have a public service announcement at the bottom of the list, please give it a read! It will help us all!!
- The Alarm – Sigma – (Twenty First Century Recording Co): Mike Peters returned in 2018 with the album Equal and it was fantastic. I can’t wait to hear this new one and as with all albums I am excited about, I haven’t heard a song until I take it all in at once. So glad he is back and in such a prolific way!!
- Generation Axe – The Guitars That Destroyed the World (Live in China) – (earMusic): A live album of Guitar Heroes…yes sign me up!! Oh, and a live album on top of that…YES PLEASE!!! You get Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde, Nuno Bettencourt, Yngwie Malmsteen and Tosin Abasi. Is there anything else that needs to be said…I didn’t think so.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 28th”
Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend. There are a ton of releases this week, sadly though, not much for me. There is one I will listen to and I am excited about and another that I will listen to celebrate their 50 years together. The rest, hopefully you will be digging those! My choices are highlighted in Blue as usual. Let me know what you are interested in hearing and what I might have missed. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!!
- Caleb Johnson & the Ramblin’ Saints – Born From the Southern Ground – (Big Johnson Records): Caleb has such an amazing voices and for me, one of the best voices to come out of American Idol. His debut I thought was great and from what I have heard off this one, this release will be fantastic as well. Give him a try if you haven’t, you won’t be disappointed.
- ZZ Top – Goin’ 50 – (Warner Bros) – (Deluxe 3CD out August 16th): Can you believe they have been going for 50 years? No, I can’t either. This is a celebration of their career and a career worth celebrating. It looks like these are remastered 2019 versions so that should be great to hear!! Digital and Single Disc CD is today!! 3 Disc Set and Vinyl is August 16th in case you want the mack daddy version.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 14th”
Welcome to June and the first Friday of releases. There are a lot of releases this week so there should be a little something for everyone. For me, there is a lot as well! A lot of nothing. There are a couple I find appealing and they will be highlighted in Blue. One of which I have had for a month and be enjoying it a lot. Hopefully there is something you like. Let me know what interests you and if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great weekend!
- Jonas Brothers – Happiness Begins – (Republic Records): Yes, the Jonas Brothers are back!! Okay, I am not really this excited, but my kids are going nuts! I have a feeling that this will be blaring around the house and in the car for quite sometime to come!! The first song released, “Sucker”, was quite catchy so let’s hope the rest of the album is as enjoyable otherwise this will be a painful period for me.
- Ida Mae – Chasing Lights – (Vow Road): I came across Ida Mae when they opened for Greta Van Fleet on tour. I picked up the album at the show around May 15th and have been playing it almost every day since. It is fantastic. They are from England and have a heavy Blues influence to their music and songwriting. It is quite different than what I normally listen to, but I can’t get enough of it. Check it out.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 7th”
Welcome to the last Friday of May!! Let the Summer heat and fun begin!! School is almost out for the kids, but busy times ahead for me. Let’s end the month with some new releases. I have a few I am interested in hearing and they are highlighted in Blue. There is a handful of releases this week so let me know what you are interested in or if I missed something that needs a shout out! I hope there is something for you. Enjoy and have a great weekend!!
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd – The Traveler – (Concord Music Group): First up for me is KWS and that awesome blues guitar. Kenny has been around awhile now and his last release was stellar so expect more of the same with this. It is funny how his Blues actually makes me feel good. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
- Duff McKagan – Tenderness – (Universal Music): The Guns ‘n Roses bass player is back with a new solo album which is the first one in 20 years (not counting the 8 years since his band Loaded’s last album). I don’t have high expectations or any for that matter, but I am curious as to what he has to offer and he has earned the respect for a listen. I want some new GNR music though!!!
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 31st”
Happy Friday. It is a nice long weekend here in the States with Memorial Day coming on Monday and we get that extra day off to spend with family and remember those who have died serving and fighting for our country. It is also the unofficial start of Summer break (although the kids still have two more weeks of school. All I know is I get an extra day to listen to some music. Not much out this week, but there are a couple I am eager to hear. They are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you want and if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- SOTO – Origami – (InsideOut Music): Jeff Scott Soto returns with one of his many bands. This band is on their third album and the first two were heavy, solid rock band and almost metal. It isn’t a solo album, it is a band. These guys kick some major ass. I have held off from listening to anything like I do on albums I want to hear as I like to take it all in at once. It makes for a better listening experience.
- Stray Cats – 40 – (Surfdog): The Stray Cats are Back!!! And it is about time. It has been well over 25 years since their last album and I couldn’t be more excited. I love that Rockabilly sound and we need a little of that now to shake things up as the music scene has gotten a little stale. Welcome back boys!!!
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 24th”
Happy Friday and thankfully the weekend is here. It is time for sun and fun and new music. There a few releases this week, but only a couple that I am really interested in and they will be highlighted in Blue. Take a look through and let me know what you are interested in hearing or buying and if there is anything I might have missed as that is known to happen. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!!
- Crazy Lixx – Forever Wild – (Frontiers Records): One of many Swedish hard rock and glam metal scene and they have been around since 2002. Only two original members left and they are Danny Rexon (Lead Singer) and Joel Cirera (Drums) and I am okay with it. They have hit and missed sometimes, but I am still interested in what they have to offer because it will probably be fun.
- Paul Gilbert – Behold Electric Guitar – (Mascot Label Group): The guitar extraordinaire from Mr. Big is back with another solo album. With a title like ‘Behold Electric Guitar’, I think you know what you are about to hear. More electrifying guitar work from a master player. How could this not be great? I guess we will find out soon enough.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 17th”
Rob Thomas has sort of been absent from my existence for quite some time. And that is on purpose. Years ago, I got a little Rob Thomas burn out. So, I stopped listening to him and Matchbox Twenty. When I saw he had a new album coming out, I figured it was time to open up my world to a little Rob Thomas again.
Rob’s last album was ‘The Great Unknown’ back in 2015 and after 4 years, he thought it was time to come back with some new music. So, the album came out and I dropped the needle (not really, I pushed play on my phone but you get the point). The album is 12 songs and at less than 40 minutes in length, it was a quick listen. Almost perfect for my drive to work.
And what do you get? You get a simple set of songs that are so well crafted and so catchy and pure pop bliss. Rob has delivered an album that is so spot on and refreshing that you walk away with such a big smile after listening that you have to hit repeat and play it again. Maybe my time away has made me long for that great voice and the Rob Thomas sound, but whatever it is, this album is that jolt of lightning I needed and has quickly become a favorite for the year.
Continue reading “Rob Thomas – ‘Chip Tooth Smile’ – Album Review”
Happy Friday!! It is when there are new releases that I want and this has a few. Some I will buy and some I will stream, but it is new music and that is what I look forward to on Fridays…well that and the work week ending. Let me know what you are looking forward to hearing this weekend and let me know if I am missing anything. Mine are marked in Blue. Have a great listening weekend!!
- Whitesnake – Flesh and Blood – (Frontiers Records): The first album with Joel Hoekstra on lead guitar and around 8 years since the last album of new material. That is quite a break. Now, I haven’t listened to anything yet as I want to listen to it all for the first time at once. I hope it is heavy, loud and simply fantastic.
- Sammy Hager & the Circle – Space Between – (BMG): Sammy and Micheal Anthony seemed to be joined at the happy and Michael is part of every project Sammy does (except the Tequila business). This one throws Vic Johnson on guitar and Jason Bonham on drums. Another one I haven’t listened to anything yet. I will take it all in at one time.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 10th”