Another great Friday with another huge selection of releases. However, the selections aren’t “huge’, if you know what I mean. There a handful I am interested in hearing, but nothing I am running out and buying. Streaming for me on these…unless one is so good it warrants a purchase. I wonder if I have gotten through all the ones from last week (I am writing this two weeks out) but I doubt it. Anyway, my choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you want to hear or if there is anything I missed. Enjoy and have a great weekend!!
- Keane – Cause and Effect – (Island Records): Keane’s debut in 2004, ‘Hopes and Fears’ was fantastic and their second was pretty great as well. As a result, I do enjoy checking out anything they put out. Nothing has lived up to those two releases, but still find a golden nugget in each release and they hope is the same on this one. “Is It Any Wonder” why I would keep trying? Not really. Great English Pop.
- Slash with Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators – Living the Dream Tour (Live) – (Snakepit Records): Let’s see…Slash √…Myles Kennedy √…both of them together √…and Live √…I don’t think I need any other reasons to “check” this out do I.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 20th”
Since we started the Needtobreathe series with the next 10 songs on My Sunday Song posts, why not celebrate the band in a collection of memes. Needtobreathe is one of my all time favorite bands, right up there with Kiss and Def Leppard so yes, they need a Meme collection. I hadn’t done one before because I didn’t think they would have many since they aren’t that popular like the other bands mentioned…I was wrong. I hope you enjoy even though you might not get them all which is okay.
Am I a fan…YES…
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Needtobreathe”
For My Sunday Song #161, we are now taking over with the next 10 songs coming from one of my favorite bands Needtobreathe. A rock band with a Southern Rock sound, folk, Americana, gospel all with a Christian background and some of the best songs I have ever heard. I usually try to stick with the non-singles, but as I want more people to know this band, I won’t always stick with that philosophy…although this song is just that. The song this week is called “Cops” and it is a B-Side for the song “Keep Your Eyes Open”. The song is also a bonus track on the LP version of the album ‘The Reckoning’ from 2011. Yes, the LP has the bonus tracks!!
The song is one of the bands heaviest songs and completely rocks out. The reason for that is the subject matter of the song. Needtobreathe has always been labeled a Christian band, but they are not. They are a rock band that has a Christian upbringing and that subject matter bleeds in to the music from time to time. But that is not their focus. They don’t deny they are Christians, they just want to play music and have a good time…nothing wrong with that.
The song is about the Christian people that are trying to tie the band down as a Christian band. The constant opinions about how they are disappointing God when they don’t sing about him and they should be out there spreading the word. Sorry, they are a Rock band first and they are not apologizing for that. The band likens this pressure to being chased by “Cops”…so there you have it. I find it funny how Christians are supposed to be holier than thou, but yet they are the first to cast the stone and point the finger when they should be looking in to that mirror themselves. Another problem I have with religion although I am a Christian, their hypocrisy is sickening at times. Soapbox, getting down now.
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “Cops” by Needtobreathe”
Welcome to Friday new releases on this Friday the 13th. And let me tell you this is a lucky Friday…no bad news here. There are an abundance of releases this week that I am excited about and it might be the best week in quite a long time or even all year. There are over 25 on this list and maybe 1/2 I am interested in at listening to once. How long is that going to take…it could be next September. My choices will be highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you see that you like and what I might be missing (could there be anything???). Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!
The most important…
- The Defiants – Zokusho – (Frontiers Records): Man, I am super excited about this one. Paul Laine and the Danger Danger boys are back with their second release and if it is half as good as the debut, then we are in for a treat. The first 3 songs they have previewed are sensational!! So expectations are HIGH!! I don’t usually listen to songs that are previewed on albums I am anxious about, but I could wait. If you like 80’s brand rock with modern productions, you will be in for a treat.
- Tom Keifer – Rise – (Cleopatra Music): The voice of Cinderella is back with his 2nd solo album. His first was fantastic and nothing less is expected on this one. His blues rock and the gravely voice is just what the doctor ordered so grab a copy and crank it up. A great weekend is ahead.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 13th”
Summer is over and School is back in session, now we need some new music. Who am I kidding, I don’t need a reason to want new music. Every week is a good week for that. However, this week is a little limited on the releases. There are quite a few, but not a lot to excite my senses. There are a few I will check out and they are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what interests you and what I might have missed. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!!
- Black Star Riders – Another State of Grace – (Nuclear Blast): Black Star Riders are back with their fourth studio release and I am eager to hear what is in store as well as a little apprehensive since Damon Johnson is no longer in the band. He was a big draw. I will keep an open mind and give it a try as Ricky is still on vocals and Scott is still there as well, but I hate they are only down to 2 of the 5 original members.
- Lindsey Stirling – Artemis – (LindseyStomp Records/BMG): This young lady plays one mean violin. I find her to be sensational and always entertaining and I don’t expect this to be any different. A couple vocal tracks on this one as well with guest Amy Lee and Elle King which should be incredible, but the highlight is always her playing. If you haven’t checked her out, do yourself a service and do so.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 6th”
We are at the end of August and are getting ready for some huge releases that will be coming in September and October. This week has a ton of releases, but none I am eager to run out and get although one everyone is talking about (but me – well I am talking about it, but I don’t really care). My choices are limited and highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in hearing or if I missed anything as that is known to happen…frequently. Have a great week.
- Sons of Apollo – Live With the Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony – (Inside Out Music). Sons of Apollo are releasing a huge live album/DVD and I expect it will be awesome. How could it not with Jeff Scott Soto on vocals, Mike Portnoy on Drums, Billy Sheehan on Bass, Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal on guitar and Derek Sherinian on keyboards. Their debut was spectacular and this will be nothing short of that. This will get played a lot!!
- Tool – Fear Inoculum – (Tool Dissectional/Voyage): Here is the album everyone is talking about. It has been 13 years since their last album and I am not sure if anyone thought they would do another album. This is going to be huge in the world of music. So why do I not care one bit. I have never found them to be anything special so maybe I am missing something. I will listen to see if this finally grabs me, but I am not expecting much as I liked nothing prior. Can someone please tell me why they are so liked…seriously, let me know.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 30th”
Michael Sweet is the lead singer of Stryper so you think I would do a Stryper ranking first, but nope. I decided to do Michael Sweet’s solo releases before I go through all the Stryper albums. Michael has been rather prolific with his music lately between the Stryper albums, his solo work and his Sweet & Lynch albums there has been a ton of new music. I think he has also been getting better with age both vocally and lyrically.
He has a new album solo coming out soon called ‘Ten’ and before that was released I started listening to his older Solo albums and then one thing lead to another and I went through all of them. So why not rank them from the ones I liked the least to the ones I liked the best and here we are. Eventually I will get to the Stryper albums, but that could be awhile as there are so many to get through, but I will make it eventually. For now, let us get through these. Enjoy…
THE WORST – TOUCHED (2007):
Okay, the album is beautiful. He sounds amazing and I know the album was dedicated to his wife Kyle who was suffering from cancer. It is a love song for her and that is incredibly touching. The album is a collection of his songs and covers that were for his wife and all are ballads and not rocking at all. I am not saying this album is bad, I am just saying I couldn’t enjoy it without that rocking side to go along with it.
Continue reading “Michael Sweet – The Albums Ranked Worst to First”
Summer is coming to end, but the heat is not. One week (and a day) until Kiss End of the Road Tour and hopefully something here will hold me over until then. Sadly, there isn’t much for my liking here this week. There are a few I will give a listen, but nothing I am buying or overly crazy about. Hopefully there is something for you this week. If so, let me know what it is and let me know if I missed something so I can check it out. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Skillet – Victorious – (Atlantic Records): Skillet is bringing us their 10th album and there sound has changed over the years from being heavily grunged influenced to an industrial rock sound to now a more hard rock sound. The songs now are anthems that come at you with force and usually a powerful message. They are a a Christian rock band who have crossed-over and are now delivering the message to people that don’t know they are getting something positive along with their rock. Great stuff.
- Tenth Avenue North – No Shame – (Provident Label Group): Another Christian band, but more on the lighter side with being pop melodies and great vocals. If you need something positive, but don’t want the heavy, this is for you. For those days I need a pick me-up, these guys can deliver.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 2nd”
Welcome to a very busy Friday of releases. There are a bunch of releases I am interested in getting, but only one I am buying as that one is so expensive, I can’t afford anything else. As Summer keeps getting hotter, so does the new music. My choices are highlighted in Blue. What are you interested in getting? Let me know what you want and what I missed and most of all…enjoy all the music. Have a great weekend.
- Def Leppard – Box Set Volume Two – (Mercury): Finally!!! Volume Two is upon us. Volume One was so awesome, now Def Leppard bring us the next set with the albums Adrenalize, Retroactive, Slang and Euphoria all on vinyl (or CD is you want). I don’t have any of these on vinyl so this is an absolute MUST!!! You also get 4 Vinyl full of Bonus tracks, rarities and live songs that is right…FOUR!!!. What is extra cool about this is that a friend of mine was asked for songs from his collection to go on this set and there of 7 songs of his (live shows, I believe) that are on here and he is credited!! Way to go Mike Ladano!!!
- Collective Soul – Blood – (Fuzze Flex Records): I am excited about this one as well. Collective Soul bring us album #10!! I am glad they are still going strong and they keep getting better along with it. I haven’t heard anything off this one yet as I want to take it all in at once. These Georgia boys don’t usually disappoint so it should be great.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 21st”
Welcome to the last Friday of May!! Let the Summer heat and fun begin!! School is almost out for the kids, but busy times ahead for me. Let’s end the month with some new releases. I have a few I am interested in hearing and they are highlighted in Blue. There is a handful of releases this week so let me know what you are interested in or if I missed something that needs a shout out! I hope there is something for you. Enjoy and have a great weekend!!
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd – The Traveler – (Concord Music Group): First up for me is KWS and that awesome blues guitar. Kenny has been around awhile now and his last release was stellar so expect more of the same with this. It is funny how his Blues actually makes me feel good. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
- Duff McKagan – Tenderness – (Universal Music): The Guns ‘n Roses bass player is back with a new solo album which is the first one in 20 years (not counting the 8 years since his band Loaded’s last album). I don’t have high expectations or any for that matter, but I am curious as to what he has to offer and he has earned the respect for a listen. I want some new GNR music though!!!
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 31st”