After last week, we need a bunch of new releases and this week you get just that. This week is also heavy on the rock side which suits me fine. A whole lot to choose from here. Hopefully you will find something you like. I know I have quite a few I am interested and one that is on pre-order and can’t wait to dive into and re-explore. All my choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are looking forward to hearing and if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great weekend!!
- Harem Scarem – The Ultimate Collection Box Set – (Frontiers Records): A 14 CD set spanning the entire Harem Scarem Career. This is massive and I can’t wait. I haven’t gone through their albums one by one in a long, long time…to long in fact. This will be fun and should keep me busy for quite some time. What’s your favorite album?
- Motley Crue – The Dirt Soundtrack – (Eleven Seven Music): The Crue is back with a Netflix Biopic and a soundtrack to boot. The soundtrack has four new songs (sort of) and is a greatest hits collection. It doesn’t look as sweet as the Queen movie soundtrack (now that is how you do it). Let’s hope the songs are better than the movie looks. So far, not overly impress with The Dirt song that was released and there is a cover of Like a Virgin by Madonna…that ain’t helping things look any better. We will see…
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – March 22nd”
I have followed Switchfoot since around 2003 with their fourth album ‘The Beautiful Letdown’ and now some 16 years later they bring us their eleventh studio album, ‘Native Tongue’ and yes, I am still a fan. The new album brings us more of the same and yet travels down a new road as well.
The album has a familiar Switchfoot sound that is at times pure rock, at times pure spiritual and at times au natural almost Earthy feel to it. They try so many different musical styles, including a little EDM, but they were able to keep it cohesive. That is in part to what seems to be a theme throughout and that is “Love”. Whether it is God’s love, human love and love on some different level, I don’t know, but the songs all seem to be connected.
The opening track, “Let it Happen” has this spiritual feel with a little bit of rock thrown in and the message to it about letting love just happen as well as letting life just happen. The rock comes in full force with “Native Tongue”. The heavy tribal drums and bass sound kick this up a notch and was a great choice as the first single. And then you get the church feel of “All You Need” and with that chorus I can picture a worship team singing it out loud during service.
Continue reading “Switchfoot – ‘Native Tongue’ – Album Review”
Happy Friday! I can’t wait for the weekend! Why you ask? Duh, no work and all music all the time!! Not a whole lot this week, but a couple I will try out and they will be highlighted in Blue. Let me know if there is anything for you or let me know what I am missing out on. Hopefully there is something for you…I know that Bolton one is calling everyone’s name…”Listen to me (insert name here)”.
- 7eventh Time Down – Brand New Day – (BEC Recordings): A Christian rock band or pop rock…whatever you want to call it…I will give it a try. I have enjoyed their first few albums and there is always one or two songs that blow me away so hoping for more of that. I just like the positive messages and the good grooves. Check them out! (Update…I guess I need to stop doing these three weeks ahead because this got moved to March 1st…sorry about that).
- Sister Hazel – Fire E.P. – (Croakin’ Poet Records): I remember their 90’s hits (or at least “All for You”) so why not see what they have to offer in 2019. They are doing a lot of E.P.s. They did two last year (Water & Wind) and now comes Fire. I think I missed the other two so I will check this one out and go back and listen to the others.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 8th”
Now we are in to full swing in the new year. The albums are starting to come out and today we have a long list of releases. There will hopefully be something for everyone. There are bunch I am interested in, but might not necessarily buy right now. They will be streamed to start with and I will pick up the ones I like the best. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you like or are interested in. Thanks and have a great musical weekend.
- Starbreaker – Dysphoria – (Frontiers Records): Tony Harnell and Magnus Karlsson team up again with the band’s third album and first in over 11 years…damn…way too long. It is metal, it is hard rock and it is usually great. Can’t wait to hear this one.
- Rival Sons – Feral Roots – (Atlantic Records): Rival Sons are one of those bands you just fall in love with immediately when you hear them. Now on their 6th studio album they just keep getting better. They are straight up rock & roll with a heavy blues influence and worth a listen. Give them a try.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 25th”
Last week did not have a bunch of releases and this week isn’t that much better, but there are at least more than last week. And there are a few I am actually interested in giving a spin. Those will be highlighted in Blue. There are a lot of Metal releases for those that like it a little bit harder than the rest. Hopefully there is something that will interest everyone. Let me know what you like or what I might have missed. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Switchfoot – Native Tongue – (Fantasy Records): The Christian/Alternative band is back with their 11th Studio album. I came across the band back in 2003 with their 4th album ‘The Beautiful Letdown” and have been a fan since. They can be pop, rock and sometimes even a beachy California Surf feel, but they are always consistent and the songs have a great message or story. I love Jon Foreman’s voice and I usually find very little wrong with their music. Give them a try.
- Papa Roach – Who Do You Trust? – (Eleven Seven Records): After less than 2 years since their last release, ‘Crooked Teeth’, Papa Roach are storming back on the scene. I like it when bands don’t wait the obligatory 2-3 years for new music. The last one was great so hoping for more of the same.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 18th”
2019 is upon us and it is always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet. From what I have gathered around the internet, here are the bands that should have new albums out in 2019, but no dates announced yet. The ones I would give a try (and my kids) will be highlighted in Blue. The ones with Dates Announced are at the bottom of this post. The list is building up nicely!!
- Billy Eilish
- The Defiants
- Greta Van Fleet – (rumor already for new music)
- Hootie & the Blowfish (new tour has been announced)
- Michael Sweet
- Miley Cyrus
- The Raconteurs
- Rob Zombie
- The Cranberries
- Taylor Swift
- Tesla – Shock (Produced by Phil Collen of Def Leppard)
- Tori Kelly
- Whitesnake – Flesh & Blood (should be March)
Continue reading “What to Expect for New Music in 2019?”
It is time for the Top 20 Songs of 2018. My previous post, if you missed it, was the Top 20 Rock Songs of 2018. Go check it out by clicking on the link. These 20 songs are all genres other than rock. Some were popular and chart toppers and others were not. They are my favorites, that touched me in some way so don’t expect any indie bands or anything trendy. If you want that go to one of the cool sites out there, this ain’t it.
If you missed the Top Rock Albums of 2018 or the Top Albums of 2018 (that were not Rock), just click on the link and go check them out.
Let’s get started…
#20 – “Space Cowboy” – Kacey Musgrave off the album ‘Golden Hour’: I am not huge into today’s country music, but Kacey is different. She is doing things her way, pushing boundaries and sounds. I love her voice and her songs are always interesting and worth diving into lyrically. This one is no different. It is more pop than country, but still good.
#19 – “Say Hello” – Rhett Walker Band off the ‘Rhett Walker Band E.P.’: Rhett’s a Christian rock band and this song comes off with the power of Church Revival and gets you up out of you chair, hands in the air and give it your all. If you want to get moving, this will do it.
Continue reading “The Top Songs of 2018”
Wow! Another HUGE week of releases. There are a ton I am interested in and some I have bought already or will be very, very soon. There is a wide range of artists covering Rock, Metal, Country, R&B, Pop, Showtunes, Christian, Alternative, Hip Hop and many more. There has to be something you will be digging. If not, let me know and let me if there is. I love to know what people are in to and whether or not I am missing out on anything good. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Have a great weekend!!
- Needtobreathe – Acoustic Live, Vol. 1 – (Atlantic Records): If you read my site, you know this is one of my favorite bands so it is no wonder this tops the list. The vinyl is on order and I hope I get it on release day, but doubt it since it is from the NTB webstore and not Amazon. Oh well! The album is a collection of acoustic tracks from their acoustic tour last year. All classic NTB tracks and these guys are fantastic live, so high expectations.
- Chris Cornell – Chris Cornell (Deluxe) – (Universal Music): This set looks S.W.E.E.T.!! An extensive greatest hits compilation of his Soundgarden, Audioslave and Solo work among some rare treats as well. This is another must have in the physical form. It is on the Christmas list and if I don’t get it, I will immediately buy on Amazon Christmas Day.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – November 16th”
Wow!! The new releases are coming in droves. Another extensive list of releases this week just like last. There has to be something for everyone as the artist here cover the gamut of genres. There are a handful I am interested in streaming at least, not sure about buying…yet. I will test the waters first. Those are highlighted in Blue. What do you see that you like? Let me know and let me know what releases are missing from the list. I hope you find something. Have a great weekend!!
- Stephen Pearcy – View to a Thrill – (Frontiers Records): The lead singer of Ratt (or some version of it) is back with another solo effort. I am becoming very skeptical of this release with all the antics going on with him from the latest Ratt tour…not a pretty picture. The tracks I have heard so far are so, so…but after his last one was pretty decent, I will give this one a try. We will see.
- Red Dragon Cartel – Patina – (Frontiers Record): Jake E. Lee isback with Red Dragon Cartel’s 2nd album. I get the impression this is a real band now and so the songs should be solid and consistent. I am digging what I have heard and have higher expectations for this one over the last. I can’t wait to crank this one up.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – November 9th”
Can you believe it is November already?? I find the years are flying by now and before this one is over, I will hit a major life milestone and I don’t know if I am ready for it. But before that happens, we have new music to get through. There is a lot here, but there isn’t at the same time. Hopefully you will find something. Me, there is nothing I am really running out to get. I will listen to some, but buying is a maybe to a No for most of this. The things I might listen to sooner than later are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in hearing or what I might have missed this week. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.
- The Afters – The Beginning & Everything After – (Fair Trade Services): The Afters are a Christian pop/rock band. I enjoy them a lot and this is just a greatest hits album so I thought I would feature it for those that don’t know anything about them, this would be a good place to start. Here is the one new track on the album.
- Metallica – And Justice for All (Remastered) – (Blackened Recordings): Do I really need to add anything to this release. If you have $180 laying around you can the complete deluxe box set of 6LPs, 11CDs and 4 DVDs as who doesn’t need the same songs repeated over and over and over in different mixes, live versions, etc…
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – November 2nd”