Welcome to October and of course, I have a list of new releases for you to check out. There are definitely some I am getting this week and I will talk about those as they will be highlighted in Blue. There are not a ton, but hopefully you will find something. I know I have.
- Whitesnake – Whitesnake (30th Anniversary Edition) – (Parlophone Records): Duh!! No Brainer!!! I can’t believe it has been 30 years since this album was released. I have it on Vinyl, but I want this CD see. With classics like “Still of The Night”, “Here I Go Again” and “Is This Love” you can’t go wrong with this one. The only downside is the Super Deluxe Edition, which I ordered, is on hold until October 27th. Oh well, still can’t wait to get ahold of it.
- The Darkness – Pinewood Smile – (Canary Dwarf Ltd): The glam metal band that glorifies the excess of 80’s rocks brings us their new album. After 5 albums has the schtick gotten old? We will see.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 6th”
Welcome to the last Friday New Releases of the month. There are too many new releases this week and no way to even come close to listening to it all. There a handful I will attempt to get to and those will be highlighted in Blue, but doesn’t mean there aren’t others on this list I don’t want to hear. I have to some way prioritize the listening choices. I am sure there is something on here that you will find exciting. Let me know what you are interested in getting.
- Shania Twain – Now – (Universal Nashville): Oh Shania, how we have missed you. Back with her first album in 15 YEARS!!!. I have heard a couple songs off the album and haven’t been overly impressed so I am little worried about this one. My wife and I enjoy Shania and went saw her in concert about 2 years ago and we also had “From This Moment” played at our wedding. As a result, I will give this a listen despite my hesitations.
- Black Stone Cherry – Black to Blues EP – (Mascot Label Group): The Southern Hard Rock band is bringing us a little EP to hold us over until their next album…I am so cool with that. They don’t seem to ever disappoint and I could use a good old rock album about now.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 29th”
Lifehouse has been around since 1999 when they were known as Blyss, but it was their debut album under the name Lifehouse in 2000 that made them stars. The album was ‘No Name Face’ and the song was “Hanging By a Moment” that brought them to my attention. They have quietly been releasing albums ever since and now have 7 studio albums.
I think part of my enjoyment of the band is due to Jude Cole. One of my all time favorite albums is by him called “A View From 3rd Street”. Jude has been producing and writing songs with them for most of their career (around 2005) and that has shown through in the maturity of the songs and albums.
They finally released a greatest hits compilation back on July 14th, 2017 and it was pretty good as it had 18 tracks. However, it was missing several songs that are better than some of the ones on the compilation. So I figured why don’t I do a deep dive and give you the non-singles I think are the best. I hope you enjoy. They are in no particular order except my #1 favorite song is the last one on the list!
Continue reading “Lifehouse – Deep Dive Playlist”
Thank goodness July is over. The Friday new releases were limited during July, but things start to pick up in a big way in August. There are some great ones coming out today to get your month started out just right. As I am in the midst of busy season at work, these releases will help get through it. Hopefully there is something for you. My picks are highlighted in Blue.
- DEF LEPPARD – 30th Anniversary Edition of HYSTERIA!!! – (Mercury): It is hard to believe it has been 30 years since this release. Amazing how time flies. This album sounds just as good now as it did back then. It is a classic. With songs like “Women”, “Animal”, “Armageddon It”, “Love Bites”, “Hysteria” and “Pour Some Sugar On Me”, you have the ultimate rock album. There is only one edition to buy for me and it is the full on edition with 5 CDs, 2 DVDs, a couple books and everything you would want. You have to get this!!!! I already have and it will be there when I get home from work.
- The Winery Dogs – Dog Years Live in Santiago & Beyond 2013-2016 – (Loud & Proud Records). Three outstanding musicians bring us their first live album. Richie Kotzen, Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan make up The Winery Dogs and I couldn’t be more excited to grab this. If you haven’t heard them, you are definitely missing out. Give this one a listen!! This should also be waiting on me when I get home!!!
- Kryptonite – Kryptonite – (Frontiers Records SRL): Frontiers Records has a way of bringing people together. This group brings Jakob Samuel (The Poodles), Pontus Egberg (Treat), Robban Back (Moustasch) and Mike Palace (Palace) together to form a sort of supergroup. I really love Jakob Samuel and The Poodles, so anything he does really peaks my interest. Heres to hoping for something special.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 4th”
It is Friday yet again and there are even more albums out and ready for you to go buy, stream or do with it as you will. Not a lot this week, but one critical one for my kids. The ones I will check out are highlighted in Blue. I hope there is something for you.
- Katy Perry – Witness – (Capitol Records): After 4 long years since Prism, Katy is back and better than ever…well…maybe not. She has released 3 singles are ready and I have to say I am not that impressed. I only like the first one “Chain to the Rhythm”, the rest have been kind of awful (especially “Bon Appetit”). And I have to mention how awful the album cover looks to me. Not off to a good start. I will still give it a try though, but expectations are now pretty low.
- Lady Antebellum – Heart Break – (Capitol Nashville): Lady Antebellum is back after three years and the members doing a little stuff on their own. They are pure pop country, but I love Charles Kelley’s voice and Hillary Scott’s as well. Put the two together and wow!!
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 9th”
My Sunday Song #40 is by Jeremy Camp and it is called “He Knows”. This is the last in this 10 songs all with a Christian message from Christian artists. The next 10 will be a little different. They will be 10 of my all time favorite songs. Not necessarily the Top 10, but definitely could be. “He Knows” was the first single off his latest release from 2015 called “I Will Follow”. It went as high as #4 on the Christian music charts.
What does “He Knows” mean to me? Well, it basically means that no matter the troubles or hardships, God knows what I am going through. He knows every pain I am feeling and every struggle I go through. No matter if I stray away, he has compassion and will always welcome me back or he will help me get through my hardships. There have been quite a few over the last year, but when I am ready to reach out for help, he is there to help and to listen.
I will let Jeremy Camp speak to the meaning behind the song for him. Watch the video below if you would like to know.
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “He Knows” by Jeremy Camp”
For My Sunday Song #39, I chose “Hard Love” by Needtobreathe. “Hard Love” is off their latest album of the same name that came out last year. It is a phenomenal album and you can check out my review by clicking HARDLOVE.
The song has been everywhere lately. It is on the soundtrack to the movie ‘The Shack’ and the song features Lauren Daigle. They have several of the versions of the song featuring other female singers including Andra Day and Serena Ryder. Their Facebook page has been highlighting what Hard Love means to you…the fans. Some great stories so go check it out.
What does Hard Love mean to me? Hard Love for me is marriage and raising your kids. They both require so much work. At times it is so hard, so painful, but at the same time it is so rewarding and so satisfying. No body is perfect and we will never be, but we have to work Hard at it all the time. My relationship with my wife is strong because of all the work we have put in to it and it definitely has been a Hard Love…but so worth it!! Same can go with my kids. No matter how hard it is, seeing them grow into the people they are makes it all so amazing and again…so worth it.
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “Hard Love” by Needtobreathe”
Colton Dixon is one of the rising stars in the Christian genre. As everyone always has to mention, he is a former American Idol contestant who finished in 7th place on Season 11. Now on his third album, the maturity and vocal talent are hitting their peak. Colton has been growing with each release and ‘Identity’ shows definitely shows that growth.
‘Identity’ is a very ambitious album for this young singer. The Deluxe Edition is a startling 17 tracks and is a loosely based concept album. I say loosely as the album doesn’t tell a story from beginning to end, but appears to be broken into three parts with the songs representing that theme. The three themes are “The Mind”, “The Body” and “The Spirit”.
The first part of the album is “The Mind”. The album starts off with the Interlude called “The Mind” which is an instrumental piece with angel like voiceovers by a female and male voiceover giving you the theme of the section. It is actually quite great. The song transitions seamlessly into the title track “Identity”. The four songs in this section are all pop songs that in one shape or another are representative of the mind.
Continue reading “Colton Dixon – Identity (Deluxe Edition – 2017) – Album Review”
For My Sunday Song #38, I chose “Even If” by MercyMe. I know I just did a MercyMe but that post was written before I discovered this song. The song is off their new album, “Lifer” and is the first single from that release (Click on “Lifer” to read the review). It is currently #1 on iTunes in the Christian genre.
What I get from the song is that no matter how dark things may get, no matter how bad your situation may be, no matter if you feel if God is not their to help…He is there for you! There is someone I know that is probably going through the most difficult time of their life and I hope they dig deep and reach out to God for forgiveness and for help.
God is a comfort for me. I might not “walk the walk” or “talk the talk” as a Christian person should, but I know He is there when I need Him…which is a lot.
From FreeCCM.com, I found an article by FreeCCMAbby that discusses the meaning behind the song. There is a video you can watch that will discuss the song. I am borrowing the following quote from the site
“Even If” is a reminder to people in difficult situations that don’t seem to go away. God is worthy long before any of those circumstances even showed up. This song is a declaration to God that even if He went silent and never said another word, He’s still worthy to be praised and that He’s our greatest hope in the midst of the trial.” – Bart Millard (MercyMe)
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “Even If” by MercyMe”