Happy Friday!! It is when there are new releases that I want and this has a few. Some I will buy and some I will stream, but it is new music and that is what I look forward to on Fridays…well that and the work week ending. Let me know what you are looking forward to hearing this weekend and let me know if I am missing anything. Mine are marked in Blue. Have a great listening weekend!!
- Whitesnake – Flesh and Blood – (Frontiers Records): The first album with Joel Hoekstra on lead guitar and around 8 years since the last album of new material. That is quite a break. Now, I haven’t listened to anything yet as I want to listen to it all for the first time at once. I hope it is heavy, loud and simply fantastic.
- Sammy Hager & the Circle – Space Between – (BMG): Sammy and Micheal Anthony seemed to be joined at the happy and Michael is part of every project Sammy does (except the Tequila business). This one throws Vic Johnson on guitar and Jason Bonham on drums. Another one I haven’t listened to anything yet. I will take it all in at one time.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – May 10th”
I should be arriving home today from vacation in Paris, France so I will be a little late getting to these releases, but there are a bunch I want to at least listen to first before I buy. All my choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in or if there is something I might have missed as that happens…a lot!! Enjoy and have a great weekend. I know I will be resting from this trip and I am sure suffering major jet lag.
- Rob Thomas – Chip Tooth Smile – (Atlantic Records): The former Matchbox 20 frontman is finally back with a new solo album after four years. I liked his early stuff and definitely early Matchbox 20. I am hoping he captures a little of that lost magic, but I don’t know yet as I haven’t listened to anything yet, not even the video posted below. I will try it out, he has earned that.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela – Mettavolution – (Rubyworks): This might actually be first up on the playlist. I love these two. Their instrumental, flamenco style music is at times breathtaking. High expectations as I have never been disappointed before. Give them a listen if you have heard them before…it is really cool.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 26th”
A number of new releases this week across a vast array of genres. There is probably something for everyone this week. We have Alternative, Christian, Indie, R&B, Country, Metal, EDM, AOR, Bubble Gum Pop and who knows what else. There a few that interest me, but don’t necessarily excite me where I am running out and buying anything. A few I want to listen to and they are highlighted in Blue as always. Let me know what interests you or if I missed anything. Enjoy listening and have a great weekend!!
- Band of Skulls – Love is All You Love – (SO Recordings): This English band is back with their 5th album and they are quite interesting and worth a listen. They are part Blues Rock, Indie Rock, Stoner Rock and just plain Hard Rock. They are a little of everything and that is what is great about them. Give them a try if you haven’t already.
- Danny Gokey – Haven’t Seen It Yet – (Sparrow Records): Christian artist and former American Idol hopeful releases his fourth album and I was pleasantly surprised by how good his last album was that I will be checking this one out as well. It is towards the pop realm in Christian music, but his voice is fantastic and the lyrics are great. If you need something uplifting, this should fit the bill.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 12th”
March is over and it will go out with a ton of releases this week. There is something for everyone with this many releases. We have metal, rock, alternative, country, R&B, jazz and christian music all to be heard and spun. Actually, for me, there isn’t much I am interested in and I will highlight those in Blue. Let me know what you found and if I missed anything. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend. If you want to see a bunch of the new releases coming over the next couple months, click New Releases here or at the top of the page.
- Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep – (Darkroom/Interscope Records): Okay, this one is on my list because it is my oldest daughters favorite artist right now and apparently a lot of people are digging her. She is VERY DARK in her attitude, music and especially the lyrics. But she has something that is the “IT” factor right now. A lot of her stuff is a little too weird, but some songs really knock it out of the park. I will be listening to this one a lot…and not all by choice.
- L.A. Guns – The Devil You Know – (Frontiers Records): Is this the real L.A. Guns or one of the two touring bands with the same name?? Kidding…a little. Either way, I will give it a spin and see what this old band still has to offer.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – March 29th”
After last week, we need a bunch of new releases and this week you get just that. This week is also heavy on the rock side which suits me fine. A whole lot to choose from here. Hopefully you will find something you like. I know I have quite a few I am interested and one that is on pre-order and can’t wait to dive into and re-explore. All my choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are looking forward to hearing and if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great weekend!!
- Harem Scarem – The Ultimate Collection Box Set – (Frontiers Records): A 14 CD set spanning the entire Harem Scarem Career. This is massive and I can’t wait. I haven’t gone through their albums one by one in a long, long time…to long in fact. This will be fun and should keep me busy for quite some time. What’s your favorite album?
- Motley Crue – The Dirt Soundtrack – (Eleven Seven Music): The Crue is back with a Netflix Biopic and a soundtrack to boot. The soundtrack has four new songs (sort of) and is a greatest hits collection. It doesn’t look as sweet as the Queen movie soundtrack (now that is how you do it). Let’s hope the songs are better than the movie looks. So far, not overly impress with The Dirt song that was released and there is a cover of Like a Virgin by Madonna…that ain’t helping things look any better. We will see…
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – March 22nd”
I have followed Switchfoot since around 2003 with their fourth album ‘The Beautiful Letdown’ and now some 16 years later they bring us their eleventh studio album, ‘Native Tongue’ and yes, I am still a fan. The new album brings us more of the same and yet travels down a new road as well.
The album has a familiar Switchfoot sound that is at times pure rock, at times pure spiritual and at times au natural almost Earthy feel to it. They try so many different musical styles, including a little EDM, but they were able to keep it cohesive. That is in part to what seems to be a theme throughout and that is “Love”. Whether it is God’s love, human love and love on some different level, I don’t know, but the songs all seem to be connected.
The opening track, “Let it Happen” has this spiritual feel with a little bit of rock thrown in and the message to it about letting love just happen as well as letting life just happen. The rock comes in full force with “Native Tongue”. The heavy tribal drums and bass sound kick this up a notch and was a great choice as the first single. And then you get the church feel of “All You Need” and with that chorus I can picture a worship team singing it out loud during service.
Continue reading “Switchfoot – ‘Native Tongue’ – Album Review”
Happy Friday! I can’t wait for the weekend! Why you ask? Duh, no work and all music all the time!! Not a whole lot this week, but a couple I will try out and they will be highlighted in Blue. Let me know if there is anything for you or let me know what I am missing out on. Hopefully there is something for you…I know that Bolton one is calling everyone’s name…”Listen to me (insert name here)”.
- 7eventh Time Down – Brand New Day – (BEC Recordings): A Christian rock band or pop rock…whatever you want to call it…I will give it a try. I have enjoyed their first few albums and there is always one or two songs that blow me away so hoping for more of that. I just like the positive messages and the good grooves. Check them out! (Update…I guess I need to stop doing these three weeks ahead because this got moved to March 1st…sorry about that).
- Sister Hazel – Fire E.P. – (Croakin’ Poet Records): I remember their 90’s hits (or at least “All for You”) so why not see what they have to offer in 2019. They are doing a lot of E.P.s. They did two last year (Water & Wind) and now comes Fire. I think I missed the other two so I will check this one out and go back and listen to the others.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 8th”
Now we are in to full swing in the new year. The albums are starting to come out and today we have a long list of releases. There will hopefully be something for everyone. There are bunch I am interested in, but might not necessarily buy right now. They will be streamed to start with and I will pick up the ones I like the best. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you like or are interested in. Thanks and have a great musical weekend.
- Starbreaker – Dysphoria – (Frontiers Records): Tony Harnell and Magnus Karlsson team up again with the band’s third album and first in over 11 years…damn…way too long. It is metal, it is hard rock and it is usually great. Can’t wait to hear this one.
- Rival Sons – Feral Roots – (Atlantic Records): Rival Sons are one of those bands you just fall in love with immediately when you hear them. Now on their 6th studio album they just keep getting better. They are straight up rock & roll with a heavy blues influence and worth a listen. Give them a try.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 25th”
Last week did not have a bunch of releases and this week isn’t that much better, but there are at least more than last week. And there are a few I am actually interested in giving a spin. Those will be highlighted in Blue. There are a lot of Metal releases for those that like it a little bit harder than the rest. Hopefully there is something that will interest everyone. Let me know what you like or what I might have missed. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Switchfoot – Native Tongue – (Fantasy Records): The Christian/Alternative band is back with their 11th Studio album. I came across the band back in 2003 with their 4th album ‘The Beautiful Letdown” and have been a fan since. They can be pop, rock and sometimes even a beachy California Surf feel, but they are always consistent and the songs have a great message or story. I love Jon Foreman’s voice and I usually find very little wrong with their music. Give them a try.
- Papa Roach – Who Do You Trust? – (Eleven Seven Records): After less than 2 years since their last release, ‘Crooked Teeth’, Papa Roach are storming back on the scene. I like it when bands don’t wait the obligatory 2-3 years for new music. The last one was great so hoping for more of the same.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 18th”
2019 is upon us and it is always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet. From what I have gathered around the internet, here are the bands that should have new albums out in 2019, but no dates announced yet. The ones I would give a try (and my kids) will be highlighted in Blue. The ones with Dates Announced are at the bottom of this post. The list is building up nicely!!
- Billy Eilish
- The Defiants
- Greta Van Fleet – (rumor already for new music)
- Hootie & the Blowfish (new tour has been announced)
- Michael Sweet
- Miley Cyrus
- The Raconteurs
- Rob Zombie
- The Cranberries
- Taylor Swift
- Tesla – Shock (Produced by Phil Collen of Def Leppard)
- Tori Kelly
- Whitesnake – Flesh & Blood (should be March)
Continue reading “What to Expect for New Music in 2019?”