For My Sunday Song #163, we are going to dive in to the title track from their 2009 album, ‘The Outsiders’. The opening track to an album that went on to win a Dove Award for Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year. At this point in their career, this was the best effort.
The song is about how the band feels with their place in the music industry. Being from a small town in South Carolina with a very small music scene, the band never quite felt like they were fully accepted in to the music industry. They feel like they are outsiders in a business they have been in for about 10 years at this point. With that feeling of being an outsider also allows for a freedom. A freedom to do whatever they want creatively and musically. That freedom has led to some amazing songs (this one included).
The song opens with Bo picking on a banjo, then Bear comes in singing then some hand clapping and some good foot stomping beats. The country style opening lends its way to a rock song with some southern flair which is something they do best. They keep that Americana, folk feel in their sound and turn the song into an anthem for a whole generation of people that feel they are outsiders in whatever group they are in. It is a rally to embrace it and accept it and take advantage of it at the same time. Ironically, their fan club is actually called “The Insiders”.
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “The Outsiders” by Needtobreathe”
Back in 2006, my brother told me I had to listen to this album called ‘Daylights’ by the band Needtobreathe. I had never heard of them and I trust my brothers opinion since he did bring me in to the Kiss world when I was like 6. He said they were a Christian Rock band and they were amazing. Well, he was sort of right. They were awesome, but they aren’t just a Christian rock band. They are a rock band who happens to be Christian and a lot of their views are in their music, but they aren’t bible thumping. They are telling honest stories that will hopefully impact you in some way.
And impact me they have. Their music is what I go to when I need inspiration, I need to feel better or I just need some good roots rock music sometimes with a Southern Rock flair. For me, it is all good and there is no “Worst Album”. After 6 studio albums, 2 live albums and numerous E.P.’s, they are still one of my all-time favorite bands out there and I hope they continue for years to come. The band is as follows:
- Bear Rinehart
- Bo Rinehart
- Seth Bolt
- Josh Lovelace
I am keeping this list to just the 6 studio albums and let this be your gateway in to the band. Remember, these are in order of my least favorite to my very favorite and that might not be your order, but that is fine. It is only my opinion. So be kind. And here we go…Needtobreathe!!
WORST – THE HEAT (2007):
Continue reading “Needtobreathe – The Albums Ranked Worst to First”
Summer is over and School is back in session, now we need some new music. Who am I kidding, I don’t need a reason to want new music. Every week is a good week for that. However, this week is a little limited on the releases. There are quite a few, but not a lot to excite my senses. There are a few I will check out and they are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what interests you and what I might have missed. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!!
- Black Star Riders – Another State of Grace – (Nuclear Blast): Black Star Riders are back with their fourth studio release and I am eager to hear what is in store as well as a little apprehensive since Damon Johnson is no longer in the band. He was a big draw. I will keep an open mind and give it a try as Ricky is still on vocals and Scott is still there as well, but I hate they are only down to 2 of the 5 original members.
- Lindsey Stirling – Artemis – (LindseyStomp Records/BMG): This young lady plays one mean violin. I find her to be sensational and always entertaining and I don’t expect this to be any different. A couple vocal tracks on this one as well with guest Amy Lee and Elle King which should be incredible, but the highlight is always her playing. If you haven’t checked her out, do yourself a service and do so.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 6th”
I realized I have been making a lot of purchases and yet not everything makes its way on to the site. I figured I would do a wrap up each month of all my purchasing I have made even if they made it on the site during the month or even might make it on to the site down the road.
I like to buy vinyl, but I will also pick up CDs as well because sometimes those albums are not on vinyl and sometimes the CD package gives me a little more than the vinyl would like having a DVD included. One such release was done for that very reason.
The first being The Traveling Wilburys. I couldn’t believe I didn’t have these albums on vinyl and I could probably get them; however, I was at the record store and in the used section was The Traveling Wilburys Collection which included both albums and a DVD with a brief documentary and some music videos and all for a price well cheaper than getting these on vinyl with no DVD. I grabbed it!!
Next up was one I have been wanting to grab as well on vinyl, but when I saw this on CD and at the price, I grabbed it. I got it for less than $8 and considering the album is over $80 now (at least on Amazon), I thought who needs a vinyl. The album is Jimmy Page & the Black Crowes Live at the Greek. I had heard a lot of good things about it, so why not.
Continue reading “August Purchases – CD & Vinyl”
Who doesn’t love a good cover song. No one! Who doesn’t love a bad cover song…Every One!! Cover songs are hit and miss. Some are actually great and some want to make you stab your ears with a pencil to stop the pain. Whichever corner you are in, we are going to celebrate the cover song this week. I hope you enjoy…
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Cover Songs”
Happy Friday. Welcome to the new releases and I am sorry, but there are not a lot this week. Why? Because no one wants to go up against Taylor Swift. She will rule the world this week. That doesn’t mean I don’t have something because I do and it is going to kick some major ass. Sorry Swift, this will get played…yours won’t…except with my girls so I will hear it, but not by choice. What I will hear is in Blue. I hope there is something for you. Let me know what you like and if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great weekend!
- Crobot – Motherbrain – (Mascot Label Group): The boys from PA are back with their fourth studio album. If you like your hard rock with a little funk then come on over as you won’t be disappointed. This album is going on first thing this morning on the way to work…cranked as loud as I can take it. Each album has gotten better and I hope this one follows that trend.
- Taylor Swift – Lover – (Taylor Swift): Okay, I will have to listen to this and it is a really huge release so I will mention it. My prediction is that it won’t do as well as her previous releases as I think she has reached her peak a couple album ago. I am not saying it will be bad, I am saying we have probably heard it all before and she is rehashing old sounds. I think the days of Swift Superiority are coming to an end especially when you have fresh voices like Billie Eilish starting to rule the airwaves.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 23rd”
Another Friday of new releases. Not the best day for releases. There are not a bunch and not a bunch I am interested in either. Which is probably good as I am driving back from vacation today with my family and they won’t want to listen to anything I want anyway (unless they fall asleep and then I can play what I want). My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what interests you or if there is anything I missed. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.
- The Parlor Mob – Dark Hour – (Britannia Row Recordings): A hard rock band out of New Jersey that formed around 2004. It is modern hard rock and I have to admit I liked their first two albums so after a long break, the band is back after 8 years since the last full length album (3 years since an E.P.). I am interested to hear what they have to offer now after such a long break. I haven’t listened to anything yet so not sure what to expect, but if it is anything like ‘Dog’, I am in.
- King Gizzard & Lizard Wizard – Infest the Rats’ Nest – (Flightless Records): First up in my car this week will be the new one from this Experimental, Psychedelic Rock band who puts out more music than anyone. Hell a year or so ago they put out 5 albums in one year!! Who does that?? Always worth a spin so this one will get one first thing.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 16th”
For My Sunday Song #150, we are ending the Van Halen set of 10 songs with “Mean Street” off the album “Fair Warning”. The song reached #13 on the Mainstream Rock station and help propel the album to #5 on the Billboard charts. It is the opening track and the song were the title of the album comes.
The song comes blazing out of the gate with the vintage Eddie style riffs that scream…I am the best guitarist and don’t you forget it!! The opening was inspired by the slap funk bass style and I would say there is nothing the man can’t do with a guitar. Then the song gets dirty and a little nasty. Musically and Lyrically, it is a dark song for the band. I also love the fade out at the end with those wicked guitar parts Ed is playing while it is fading out.
The song seems to be about life on the streets. The pain and agony of living on the street and the fighting to stay alive. The streets will basically chew you up and spit you out. Funny thing, the band aren’t from the streets so they really have no idea about “mean streets” now do they. Don’t get me wrong, that takes away nothing from the song. It is badass and delivered very convincingly.
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “Mean Street” by Van Halen”
And now are you ready for Part 2 of Slipknot?? Well of course you are. Why wouldn’t you be. Here is the next batch of our 2 part series on Slipknot. I hope you enjoy!!
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Slipknot (Part 2)”
I can’t believe that as long as I have been putting together collections of memes from artists and bands, I haven’t done Bruce Springsteen. That is a travesty. Well I am going to correct that right here, right now! So, sit back and I hope you enjoy this collection honoring and poking fun at The Boss!!
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Bruce Springsteen”