Needtobreathe released their new E.P. titles ‘Forever On Your Side (Niles City Sound Sessions)’ which is a longer name than the album as the album is merely an E.P. featuring only 4 tracks. The Niles City Sound Sessions is actually a place in Fort Worth, Texas with a trio of producers that call themselves Niles City Sound. Needtobreathe sat with them for a time and these four songs came from that session.
I have ordered this on a beautiful 10″ Pink Vinyl, but it won’t actually come until September which is a long way from now. I will have been to the concert supporting this release before I actually have the physical product. The concert is August 21st out in the blistering heat at the Charlotte Metro Credit Union Amphitheatre. Nothing like a concert, outside in the middle of Summer!!!
The band consists of the following members…
- Bear Rinehart – vocals
- Bo Rinehart – guitar, banjo, mandolin
- Seth Bolt – bass, percussion
- Josh Lovelace – piano, organ
Since it is only 4 tracks, let us get right to it…
“Bridges Burn” was is the first track and it opened up with some weird “da-doo, da-doo, doo, doo, doo, doo nonsense (it isn’t that bad once you hear the rest of the song). I became skeptical real quick. Thankfully that was extremely short-lived. The song then turns into a classic Needtobreathe. The slow groove along with the piano accompaniment and Bear Rinehart’s vocals pouring out the emotion and allows you to feel everything he is releasing into the song. They are still incorporating some electronic elements, but not enough to distract.
Continue reading “Needtobreathe – Forever On Your Side (Niles City Sound Sessions) E.P. – Album Review”
Are things heating up where you live? They are here. Damn it has been hot! Sadly, the music this week is not really…hot. There is not a whole heckuva lot screaming at me, but I am sure I will get to some of it eventually. Maybe a good time to play catchup on releases from earlier in the year that I missed. I do have one I want and it is highlighted in Blue. Let me know what interests you or what I missed on the list.
- Needtobreathe – Forever on your Side: Niles City Sound Sessions – (Atlantic): A four song E.P. from Needtobreathe is always welcome. Anything new from these guys is welcome. One of my favorite bands and this one is music created from their time spent at Niles City. Here is what they say about it…”Forever On Your Side (Niles City Sound Sessions) was recorded with the producer trio Niles City Sound (Leon Bridges) out of their studio in Ft. Worth, TX. The 4-track collection of songs and collaboration represents a creative leap for the band, who usually self-records and produces out of their home studio, Plantation Studios, in Summerville, SC.” I have the 10″ Pink Vinyl on order and sadly won’t arrive until the end of September so for now I will stream or grab the CD. Oh yeah, my wife and I have a date night to see Needtobreathe in August. Yes…I am a fan.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – July 13th”
Needtobreathe recently announced a new tour starting in August and a new project titled ‘Forever On Your Side (Niles City Sound Sessions)’. The first single from that project is titled “Bridges Burn”. Before I go into the song, let’s talk about the band.
Needtobreathe is one of my absolutely favorite bands and I am excited they are finally coming back to Charlotte as it has been awhile. I will do my best to make it to this show even if it will be OUTSIDE…IN AUGUST…IN THE SOUTH!! What were they thinking??? There is nothing like sitting outside in 100º weather.
Back to the music…here is what the band says about the new project…
“Forever On Your Side (Niles City Sound Sessions)” is a new collection of songs made over the course of a few weeks in Fort Worth, TX with the producer trio Niles City Sound. This music documents the season that we’re in as a band right now.
Continue reading “Needtobreathe – “Bridges Burn” – Single Review”
Oh the Holidays! The end of the year. Christmas time. The time John is not supposed to buy any albums since it is the holidays and it is my birthday time period so no record purchases as people need to have something to give me as a gift. Well, that didn’t quite work this year.
I did set aside a list of albums people could buy for me for Christmas and/or my Birthday and I made sure that anything I picked up was not from that list. December turned out to be a treasure trove of purchases, gifts and free stuff. I definitely hit the jackpot with a crap load of albums to listen to and some day write about.
It all started mid-November when the Coke reward program was giving away $5 Amazon gift cards for every 10 bottle caps redeemed. Well, I had been collecting them at work as I do drink one Coke product everyday and on really stressful, busy days, maybe two. The $5 Amazon Gift cards were actually $10 because they allowed you to redeem it twice. After setting up a several more accounts with different email addresses, I was able to redeem $40 worth of caps (I would have done more, but I ran out of caps). What did I get with the $40 from Amazon? Music of course. I picked up the following:
Continue reading “Turntables & Vinyl #11 – The Holiday Treasure Trove”
For My Sunday Song #39, I chose “Hard Love” by Needtobreathe. “Hard Love” is off their latest album of the same name that came out last year. It is a phenomenal album and you can check out my review by clicking HARDLOVE.
The song has been everywhere lately. It is on the soundtrack to the movie ‘The Shack’ and the song features Lauren Daigle. They have several of the versions of the song featuring other female singers including Andra Day and Serena Ryder. Their Facebook page has been highlighting what Hard Love means to you…the fans. Some great stories so go check it out.
What does Hard Love mean to me? Hard Love for me is marriage and raising your kids. They both require so much work. At times it is so hard, so painful, but at the same time it is so rewarding and so satisfying. No body is perfect and we will never be, but we have to work Hard at it all the time. My relationship with my wife is strong because of all the work we have put in to it and it definitely has been a Hard Love…but so worth it!! Same can go with my kids. No matter how hard it is, seeing them grow into the people they are makes it all so amazing and again…so worth it.
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “Hard Love” by Needtobreathe”
My fellow blogger Jason Ritchie over at The Rockin’ Chair Blog is doing a series saluting fellow bloggers and the current victim is none other than Me!! Go check out the interview and then stay around and check out the blog. You won’t be disappointed.
For some insight on The Rockin’ Chair I have stolen ( I mean borrowed) his bio from his site so you can have an idea of what to expect from his blog.
Bio: I have been blogging about mainly Stoke City FC over on the Rock ‘N’ Oatcake and am currently News & Reviews Editor at Get Ready To Rock! – my main love in the musical world 🙂
The Rockin’ Chair is a place for me to highlight new and old music. It won’t be just press releases or feature music that would score an average rating, it is more hand picked music. The blog will feature guest writers and contributions from fellow music fans and musicians.
For Christmas, I really only wanted one thing…well, it was actually 6 things. I wanted the entire Needtobreathe album collection in Vinyl. They have 6 studio albums and I am glad to say, Santa was good to me as I now have all their studio albums in Vinyl. And what a collection it is.
I became a fan back off their first album “Daylight” which came out in 2006. They have been labeled a Christian band, but they are really so much more than that label. They are folk, southern rock, country, pop, rock and Christian all at the same time. Their songwriting is exceptional with great stories and positive messages. Bear Rinehart’s voice is amazing and carries so much emotion and he draws you into each song and takes you on a wonderful journey.
The band consists of the following:
- Bear Rinehart – lead vocals
- Bo Rinehart – lead guitar
- Seth Bolt – bass
- Josh Lovelace – keyboards/organ
Continue reading “Turntables & Vinyl #5 – The Needtobreathe Collection”
It is time for the Top 20 Songs of 2016. My previous post, if you missed it, was the Top 20 Rock Songs of 2016. Go check it out by clicking on the link. These 20 songs are all other genres other than rock. Some were popular and chart toppers and others were not. They are my favorites, that touched me in some way.
If you missed the Top Rock Albums of 2016 or the Top Albums of 2016 (that were not Rock), just click on the link and go check them out.
Let’s get started…
20. “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars off the album ’24K Magic’: Ok, I love this song. There is something about Bruno that I enjoy. It is what you come to expect from Bruno and that isn’t a bad thing. Very catchy and makes you want to dance.
Continue reading “The Top 20 Songs of 2016”
The year is almost over so it is time to look back at what was awesome in music during the year. I have already looked back at the Top Rock Albums of 2016 (click to read). This list will cover all other genres that I listened to over the year including Pop, R&B, Christian and whatever other genre you want classify these albums. Rock is my favorite genre that is why it gets it’s own list, but that doesn’t take away from any of these choices as I think they are great on their own.
Note: These albums were my favorites and not necessarily the most played on the radio (which I hate the radio) or even the biggest sellers. These are just what I came across during the year and connected with me in some way. So, we might as well get started…
The #1 Album of 2016
Lady Gaga – Joanne (Interscope Records): This was an easy pick for me. The album was such a pleasant surprise and a departure from her last album. It had a little bit of everything from Pop to Country to Rock to Folk. It was such a great mixture of songs that gave us one cohesive album. The title track, “John Wayne”, “A Million Reasons” and “Perfect Illusion” were all great songs. Even the Deluxe Edition was great with “Grigio Girls”. All around classic album for Lady Gaga. Check out my review here.
Continue reading “The Top Albums of 2016”
Each week Apple Music creates a playlist for me of songs they feel I will like called “My Favorites Mix”. This week they did a really great job of picking those songs. There were 25 songs and 1 hour & 32 minutes of magic. Here are the songs:
- “Parasite (feat. John 5)” by Ace Frehley – Origins Vol. 1
- “You’re In Trouble” by Ratt – Out of the Cellar
- “Tobacco Road” by David Lee Roth – Eat ‘Em and Smile
- “My Woman in Black” by Scorpion Child – Acid Roulette
- “Outta My Way” by Talisman – Cats and Dogs
- “Monster You Made” by Pop Evil – War of Angels
- “Under and Over It” by Five Finger Death Punch – American Capitalist
- “Fiddler’s” by John 5 – Songs for Sanity
- “We Could Run Away” by Needtobreathe – The Heat
- “Rudebox” by Robbie Williams – Rudebox E.P.
- “Stay the Night” by James Blunt – Some Kind of Trouble
- “No Apologies” by Bon Jovi – Greatest Hits – The Ultimate Collection
- “Professor Satchafunkilus” by Joe Satriani – Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock
- “Lighter Shade of Green” by Alcatrazz – Disturbing the Peace
- “Start Me Up” by the Rolling Stones – The Complete Collection 1971-2013
- “Something More” by Train – Drops of Jupiter
- “Invisible Touch” by Genesis – Invisible Touch
- “Run to You” by Bryan Adams – Reckless
- “Bring It On Home” by Dread Zeppelin – Un-Led-Ed
- “One Thing Leads to Another” by The Fixx – Reach the Beach
- “Suicide Blonde” by INXS – The Best of INXS
- “Sure Know Something” by Kiss – Dynasty
- “Save A Prayer” by Duran Duran – Greatest
- “Let’s Dance” by David Bowie – Best of Bowie
- “Hollywood” by Collective Soul – Afterwords
When I gave this a listen the first time, this playlist put me in a great mood. I hope the new playlist coming up on Wednesday is as good as this one. Go to Apple Music and give it a listen at this link.