For My Sunday Song #77, I am going with one of my favorite songs by Joe Satriani called “I Believe”. The song is off one of his best albums called ‘Flying in a Blue Dream’ from 1989. Joe is known for his guitar playing and making it sing. Well for this song, Joe is actually singing. One of the very few songs he has ever done that on which was the first reason I was drawn to this song. It was nice to hear him sing.
The song is a ballad and a much slower pace than you are used to getting from him. I was enthralled by the dark tone to the song and even the dark lyrics. The lyrics discussed how hard life is, but it is inspiring to as it was still filled with so much hope. I will let Joe tell it better from an interview he did with Songfacts.com…
“It was a difficult period in my life, where my father was in the process of passing away, and I was struggling with finishing up the Flying in a Blue Dream record. I was actually writing other songs that were instrumental pieces for the album. I’d be taking breaks during those periods, and I’d pick up the acoustic guitar and would start playing music.
There was a big painting in our apartment that a friend of my wife’s had done. She had worked my wife’s face into this figure, and I used to look at that quite a bit when I would take breaks from working on the album. So I wrote a song really about how difficult life is, but how ultimately, you have hope and you can change things for the better. It was really about writing that song and looking at that picture.”
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “I Believe” by Joe Satriani”
Happy New Year and welcome to the first Friday New Releases of 2018. Why is this the first since it is the 2nd Friday of the new year? Well, it is the first week with any new releases worth mentioning. And there are a few worth mentioning…at least for me. The ones I want are highlighted in Blue.
- Joe Satriani – What Happens Next – (Sony Music): The Satch man is back and I couldn’t be happier. Well, I could if someone sent this to me in CD or vinyl form. Since that won’t happen, I will stream it for now. He is my favorite guitarists and I love how is able to make the guitar sing in each song. He is amazing. Looking forward to more great stuff especially since this album features Glenn Hughes on Bass and Chad Smith on Drums. This should be awesome!!
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Wrong Creatures – (Abstract Dragon): The American rock band out of San Francisco returns for the 8th studio album. I love their retro, gritty, distorted guitars with a punk edge. The song I have heard sounds like what I expect and I expect great things!
- Anderson East – Encore – (Elektra Records): I heard the song “All On My Mind” that was written with Ed Sheeran and I liked what I heard. Not real familiar with him, but if the album is anything like the song, sounds like it could be great. Plus, the man is dating Miranda Lambert!! Damn!!
- Dr. Demento Covered in Punk – Various Artists – (Demented Punk): Ok, I heard the Cramp’s song “Garbageman” performed by William Shatner and it is fucking awesome!!! Excuse my language, but it is!!!
- BØRNS – Blue Madonna – (Interscope Records): I really enjoyed his last album for its uniqueness, his voice and the songs. I am hoping for a step up with this release. His music is labeled as many things including indie pop, psychedelic pop, synth pop, electronica pop and alt rock and it is every one of these labels. Not my usual cup of tea, but I dig it!!
- Camila Cabello – Camila – (Simco Ltd)
- Bob Marley – Kingston Sessions: Vintage Years – (JA Records)
- Tinsley Ellis – Winning Hand – (Alligator Records)
- Corrosion of Conformity – No Cross No Crown – (Nuclear Blast Entertainment)
- Leaves’ Eyes – Sign of the Dragonhead – (AFM Records)
- Black Veil Brides – Vale – (Republic Records)
2018 is upon us and always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet. From what I have gathered around the internet, here are the bands that should have new albums out in 2018, but no dates announced yet. The ones I want will be highlighted in Blue.
- Stone Temple Pilots (I know this is coming as they have said)
- Jack White – Boarding the House Reach
- Vance Joy
- The 1975 – Music for Cars
- Ace Frehley
- Arctic Monkeys
- Avril Lavigne
- Bon Jovi
- Bring Me the Horizon
- Bullet for My Valentine
- Celine Dion
- Charli XCX
- Cowboy Junkies
- Echosmith – Inside a Dream
Continue reading “What to Expect for New Music in 2018!”
I have always wanted to learn to play a guitar. I tried when I was a kid, but I have two big problems. One, I have zero patience and couldn’t understand why I wasn’t great right away. Two, I am tone deaf and couldn’t tell you a D flat from an A sharp.
So instead, I just listen to a lot of great guitar players and sit in awe of their incredible talent. I also have a dream of collecting autograph guitars, but I have another problem with that…MONEY!! Or lack thereof.
If I had all the money in the world, these are the guitars I would go after.
Van Halen – Frankenstrat – Who is not familiar with this iconic guitar? This could be one of the most recognizable guitars ever made. You see it, you know that is Van Halen. A copy of it is even in the National Museum of American History. This was the guitar from 1979 and their first album. He has made many different versions of with this look, but if you are going to grab it, get the original.
Continue reading “My Favorite Guitars”