October is flying by and there are a bunch of new ones available this week…even Christmas albums if you are so inclined. There are some brand new bands, some old favorites and some fabulous reissues/deluxe editions. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know which ones you are interested in with a comment below. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Sons of Apollo – Pyschotic Symphony – (Inside Out Music): Another supergroup and another one featuring Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy. If you liked in The Winery Dogs, this is not the Winery Dogs. This is a much heavier band with Jeff Scott Soto on lead vocals rather than Richie Kotzen. Also on the record is Bumblefoot on guitar and Derek Sherinian that make this a massive group with a massive sound. Can’t wait to dive into this one.
- Europe – Walk the Earth – (Silver Lining Music): Europe is still putting out quality albums after 35+ years in the business. The took most of the 90’s off, but came roar back in the 2000’s and have been non-stop ever since. I have held off from listening to anything on this one yet as I want to take it in all at once.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 20th”
Here we are on another Friday and another week of great releases. But before I get into that I just noticed that this is my 400th post since I started. Crazy to think it I have been able to think of that many things to write about and that people still come to check out the site. Pretty cool.
Okay back to the post…If you like rock, there is a plethora of new music. There is probably a little something for everyone. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are looking to pick up. I hope you find something. Have a great weekend.
- Revolution Saints – Light in the Dark – (Frontiers Records): Frontiers Records has a knack for putting together little supergroups. Most of the time those supergroups only last one album. Thankfully, Revolution Saints are back with record number two!! Who is in Revolution Saints you may ask (please ask)? Well, I am glad you asked…you get Jack Blades (Night Ranger and Damn Yankees), Deen Castronovo (Journey and Ozzy) and Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake, Dio, Dead Daisies). The first album was spectacular and expect more of the same greatness.
- Fozzy – Judas – (Century Media): When you hear the name Chris Jericho, what is the first thing you think of??? Wrestling?? No, Heavy Metal Music. Chris has been lead singer of Fozzy for 18 years and they are now on their seventh album with ‘Judas’. As I always, I look forward to hearing what they bring to the table each time and this time is no different.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 13th”
Welcome to October and of course, I have a list of new releases for you to check out. There are definitely some I am getting this week and I will talk about those as they will be highlighted in Blue. There are not a ton, but hopefully you will find something. I know I have.
- Whitesnake – Whitesnake (30th Anniversary Edition) – (Parlophone Records): Duh!! No Brainer!!! I can’t believe it has been 30 years since this album was released. I have it on Vinyl, but I want this CD see. With classics like “Still of The Night”, “Here I Go Again” and “Is This Love” you can’t go wrong with this one. The only downside is the Super Deluxe Edition, which I ordered, is on hold until October 27th. Oh well, still can’t wait to get ahold of it.
- The Darkness – Pinewood Smile – (Canary Dwarf Ltd): The glam metal band that glorifies the excess of 80’s rocks brings us their new album. After 5 albums has the schtick gotten old? We will see.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 6th”
Welcome to the last Friday New Releases of the month. There are too many new releases this week and no way to even come close to listening to it all. There a handful I will attempt to get to and those will be highlighted in Blue, but doesn’t mean there aren’t others on this list I don’t want to hear. I have to some way prioritize the listening choices. I am sure there is something on here that you will find exciting. Let me know what you are interested in getting.
- Shania Twain – Now – (Universal Nashville): Oh Shania, how we have missed you. Back with her first album in 15 YEARS!!!. I have heard a couple songs off the album and haven’t been overly impressed so I am little worried about this one. My wife and I enjoy Shania and went saw her in concert about 2 years ago and we also had “From This Moment” played at our wedding. As a result, I will give this a listen despite my hesitations.
- Black Stone Cherry – Black to Blues EP – (Mascot Label Group): The Southern Hard Rock band is bringing us a little EP to hold us over until their next album…I am so cool with that. They don’t seem to ever disappoint and I could use a good old rock album about now.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 29th”
Finally!!! The new releases start picking up. August was such a slow month, but it is about to get busy. The floodgates are opening and the new releases are coming in full force. So hold on and open your wallets, it is going to get expensive. This week gets off nicely and the ones I am interested in are highlighted in Blue. There should be something in here for everyone especially some great rock and a ton of country. Let me know what you like.
- Alter Bridge – Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities – (Napalm Records): Alter Bridge live is going to be good. You have the boys from Creed and Myles Kennedy who is one of the hardest working singers in the business between Alter Bridge, Slash and so many other projects, he is always working. There have been a lot of good live albums lately and this should be no exception. The plus side is there are a bunch of rare tracks on here as well that really has my interest.
- Jonny Lang – Signs – (Concord Records): Blues rocker Jonny Lang is back with his first album in 4 years and it has been way too long. I am looking forward to hearing some more of his guitar magic. With a new album from Kenny Wayne Shepherd and now Jonny, blues rock is alive and kicking.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 8th”
August was not a great month for new releases, so September has to be better…right?? Yes and No. Yes, September is loaded with some great possible new releases. But No, it isn’t this week. Next week starts the onslaught of new releases and you won’t be disappointed. There a couple I will listen to this week, but not overly excited about any of them. My choices are highlighted in Blue (and sadly no good rock albums this week…for me at least).
- The Script – Freedom Child – (Sony Music): The Irish band is back with their 5th studio album. The are decent enough pop band. My daughter and I saw them several years ago for some radio station Christmas show and I have to say that they weren’t very good live. Or at least at this event. I could not understand what the singer was saying or even singing. We were disappointed. Their studio stuff is way better. Let’s hope we get some decent pop songs. My expectations aren’t real high so shouldn’t be disappointed (better not be).
- Dixie Chicks – DCX MMXVI Live – (Columbia): The Dixie Chicks are always entertaining. I am glad to see them still putting out music. This one seems like an interesting collection of the latest tour. It includes 2CDs and I believe a DVD of the show. Should be a nice set.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 1st”
It is the last Friday of August and school is back in session for most people (my kids actually start this coming Monday). August has really sucked for new releases (for the most part). This week is no different. There is only one I am interested in and it is Degreed. I already have enough Motley Crue as I have Girls, Girls, Girls on Vinyl and CD and plus they aren’t really offering anything I don’t already have. Queen of the Stone Age has a new album out as well, but really don’t care…never have. Man, I am just a downer today…sorry. My interest is highlighted in Blue. September looks to be a much better month for releases as Fall generally is the best time of the year for new albums as everyone wants to get it out before Christmas.
- Degreed – Degreed – (Gain/Sony): Degreed came to my attention thanks to a little label called MelodicRock Records and I have been following them ever since. They are a melodic rock band with a very modern sound and are actually pretty great. Give them a try if you haven’t. Each album has some gems (CD is out next week, MP3/Streaming today)
- Queens of the Stone Age – Villains – (Matador Records)
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 25th”
Welcome to another Friday of new releases. There is not a whole lot I am interested in and might give one or two a listen (highlighted in Blue) but still undecided. Next week will have more to offer. Hopefully there is something here for you. Since there isn’t many, I will leave some videos for a number of the artist so you can try them out.
- Nathan Angelo – A Matter of Time – (Nathan Angelo Music): Nathan Angelo is a singer/songwriter and more on the pop side. I have liked some of his older offerings, so if I am in the mood, I will throw this on and give it a spin.
- Steven Wilson – To The Bone – (SW Records): I am not familiar with Steven Wilson, but this song was good and has peaked my interest a little. Maybe I will play this one as well.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 18th”
Happy Friday! My busy season is just a couple weeks from being over and I can’t wait. I need some new music to get me through it, but it is a very weak week. Well, all except for one and it is highlighted in Blue. I hope there is something for you. Luckily I still have a few from last week to get through in more detail.
- Will Hoge – Anchors – (Bordello Records): One of my favorite singer/songwriters is Will Hoge and I love it when he puts out new music so I am super excited about this one. He is the man!! I think he is one of the best songwriters out there today and you must check him out. He is a little bit of rock, a little bit of country and a little bit of folk. He is a little bit of everything. I believe this is his 10th studio release if you count his two independent releases from early on in his career. He also has a bunch of E.P.s and Live albums.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 11th”