Avril Lavigne is now on her 6th studio album and the first since 2013’s self-titled release. That is a long gap and she has been missed. Avril has gone from this skater girl with a punk and rock attitude to a more mature, pop sound that is both beautiful and elegant.
The problem with the release is it is safe, there is no more edge to her songs. There is nothing to differentiate her from every other person on the radio even having Nicki Minaj appear on “Dumb Blonde”. Yes, please…have a hip hop artist in your song so it gets played on the radio (that is sarcasm, btw). One time, she led the pack, now she is trying to keep up.
The opening track “Head Above Water” is strong and “Tell Me It’s Over” as well as “I Fell In Love With the Devil” aren’t bad either, but the album felt like so much filler and after 6 years, I hoped she had something more to say. Also, when the aforementioned “Dumb Blonde” is the most upbeat, fun song on the album, that is a problem.
Continue reading “Avril Lavigne – ‘Head Above Water’ – Album Review”
Welcome to the day after Valentine’s Day. I hope everyone was with the one you love or at least loving the one you were with. And if you didn’t have anyone, that is okay too. Maybe there is something on here you could love. There is a little for everyone. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are interested in and what I might have missed. Have a great weekend.
- Avril Lavigne – Head Above Water – (BMG): Avril Lavigne, what can I say. I actually dig her stuff. I am not afraid to admit it. Even if she married the guy from Nickelback. I won’t hold that against her. I haven’t heard anything off this one yet, but that won’t deter me from giving it a listen as she has earned that respect. Oh yeah, the cover of the album is quite nice!
- Jon Fratelli – Bright Night Flowers – (Cooking Vinyl Ltd): I love the Fratelli’s so can’t wait to hear Jon do another solo album. His last one I enjoyed so why would this one be any different. Give him a try, you will like it.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 15th”
2019 is upon us and it is always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet. From what I have gathered around the internet, here are the bands that should have new albums out in 2019, but no dates announced yet. The ones I would give a try (and my kids) will be highlighted in Blue. The ones with Dates Announced are at the bottom of this post. The list is building up nicely!!
- Billy Eilish
- The Defiants
- Greta Van Fleet – (rumor already for new music)
- Hootie & the Blowfish (new tour has been announced)
- Michael Sweet
- Miley Cyrus
- The Raconteurs
- Rob Zombie
- The Cranberries
- Taylor Swift
- Tesla – Shock (Produced by Phil Collen of Def Leppard)
- Tori Kelly
- Whitesnake – Flesh & Blood (should be March)
Continue reading “What to Expect for New Music in 2019?”