Alright…You Picked It! And here it is. The one you picked was Frank Zappa’s ‘Hot Rats’. The votes were as follows:
- Frank Zappa – 8 votes
- Damn Yankees was close behind with 5 votes
- Eminem – 2 votes
- Michael Grant & the Assassins – 1 vote
- And poor Pat Travers got 0 votes. I feel bad for him.
Thanks to all for participating. The September choices will be up on Saturday!
FRANK ZAPPA – ‘HOT RATS’
Continue reading “You Picked It! – Frank Zappa – ‘Hot Rats’ – Album Review”
You, my reader, are going to pick an album for me to review each month. It is really simple…first, I will give you 5 albums to choose from and second, you will tell me which one of those you would like to see reviewed on the site. See…simple!
There are a few simple rules I have put in to place in my selections. They are…
- One has to be a new release (within the last month)
- One has to be one I have never heard before (new releases don’t count for this one)
- One has to be from a genre I don’t normally listen to at all or very often
- And the last two are choices from my collection that I haven’t reviewed before
What are the 5 albums you ask? Funny you should ask because I have those right here…note: I tried to throw in some non-obvious choices to make things a little more interesting.
New Release – Michael Grant & The Assassins – ‘Always the Villain’
Never Heard Before – Frank Zappa – ‘Hot Rats’
Not My Normal Genre – Eminem – ‘The Marshall Mathers LP’
From My Collection – Pat Travers Band – ‘Crash and Burn’
From My Collection – Damn Yankees – ‘Damn Yankees’
Let me know which one you would like to see and sometime in August, I will post a review of the album that gets the most votes. You have one week to decide and from there I will start listening to the album and do a review.
Thanks for participating!!
Let’s go back to the year 1972. I was just shy of 4 years old and didn’t know anything about music at this point. Obviously, I don’t remember this release. I do know that 46 years later, I would discover this album in a collection I picked up. And I also know this was one of the coolest albums in that entire collection. I thought it would be fun to go deep in my collection and talk about one of my favorites and this is definitely out of the ordinary from my usual reviews.
Babe Ruth is a blues rock band that leans very progressive and they hail from England. Formed in 1970 with Alan Shacklock, Janita “Jennie” Haan and Dave Hewitt. The band would later add Dick Powell and Dave Punshon and we would then have the band we hear on this album simply titled ‘First Base’. Lots of baseball theme with the band name, album title and even the weird cover of spacemen playing baseball.
The album kicks off with the most rocking song of the bunch called “Wells Fargo”. It is the story of the old western stagecoach and has a whole cowboy theme to it. Jennie Haan’s vocals are totally brilliant with a hard rocking edge with the hints of Janis Joplin. Alan’s guitar riff was fuzzy and cool and when you bump that up against Brent Carter’s saxophone you are in for a treat. The whole blues rock feel is what I’ve been digging a lot of lately and this helps satisfy that thirst and then thrown in a damn fine guitar solo and life is good. There is also a cool groove throughout the song by the fantastic rhythm section of Dave on bass and Dick on drums. This is how you kick off your debut album folks. Continue reading “Babe Ruth – ‘First Base’ – Album Review”
Welcome to February’s First Friday of new releases. There is a little Metal, Rock, Pop, Country and even Frank Zappa (he is his own category). Hopefully something will float your boat. There is only one I am really interested in and I might check out some others, but too early to say. My choice is highlighted in Blue as always.
- Justin Timberlake – Man of the Woods – (RCA Records): Is it no surprise that Justin is back with a new album as he is performing as the headline act for the Super Bowl Halftime Show on Sunday. The first single is a little different and took some getting used to, but I think I am digging it a little now. I am interested to see what he has to offer. I will admit I am a fan of his music so this one is a no brainer for me.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 2nd”