It is time to celebrate all that is great with Willie Nelson. He is a legend, one of Country Music’s greatest and the most famous Pot Smoker next to Snoop Dogg. For that, he deserves his own collection of memes so I went and searched this webby thing and this is what I found. I hope you enjoy!
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Willie Nelson”
Welcome to a very busy Friday of releases. There are a bunch of releases I am interested in getting, but only one I am buying as that one is so expensive, I can’t afford anything else. As Summer keeps getting hotter, so does the new music. My choices are highlighted in Blue. What are you interested in getting? Let me know what you want and what I missed and most of all…enjoy all the music. Have a great weekend.
- Def Leppard – Box Set Volume Two – (Mercury): Finally!!! Volume Two is upon us. Volume One was so awesome, now Def Leppard bring us the next set with the albums Adrenalize, Retroactive, Slang and Euphoria all on vinyl (or CD is you want). I don’t have any of these on vinyl so this is an absolute MUST!!! You also get 4 Vinyl full of Bonus tracks, rarities and live songs that is right…FOUR!!!. What is extra cool about this is that a friend of mine was asked for songs from his collection to go on this set and there of 7 songs of his (live shows, I believe) that are on here and he is credited!! Way to go Mike Ladano!!!
- Collective Soul – Blood – (Fuzze Flex Records): I am excited about this one as well. Collective Soul bring us album #10!! I am glad they are still going strong and they keep getting better along with it. I haven’t heard anything off this one yet as I want to take it all in at once. These Georgia boys don’t usually disappoint so it should be great.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 21st”
Okay, sit back and get ready for a ton of new music today. There are an abundance of albums to choose from today so hopefully there is something for you. My tastes this week are all over the board from Rock to Country to Christian Pop to Alternative to Tony Bennett (he is a category all his own). My choices are in Blue. Let me know what does or doesn’t interest you and let me know what I missed. Happy listening and have a great weekend.
- Monster Truck – True Rockers – (Mascot Records): The band’s last album ‘Sittin’ Heavy’ was amazing and really got me into this band. The first song I heard on this one didn’t excite me, but this will probably be the first one I listen to this morning. Hopefully the rest of it packs a punch and gives me more of what I love from the band which is gritty and dirty straight up rock & roll.
- Carrie Underwood – Cry Pretty – (Universal Music Group): Don’t judge me, I like Carrie Underwood. She is a guilty pleasure and I am not afraid to admit it. She has an incredible voice and her rendition of “How Great Thou Art” will move you to tears. Anyway, I am looking forward to another release by her so keep them coming Carrie.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 14th”
Welcome to the last Friday of April and the new music releases. There isn’t a ton, but there should be something for everyone. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Take a look through and let me know what you are interested in or what I might have missed. Have a great weekend!!
- Sanctus Real – Changed – (Framework Records): Sanctus Real are one of the few Christian bands I still follow. They are consistently great and there are always some gems on each album. They are more pop than rock, but just as good as anything on the radio. Now, here is the twist. The lead singer of the band, Matt Hammitt, has left the band and so they have a new singer. I am going to try this one out, but not sure how much I will dig it as it was Matt’s vocals that always drew me in. He was also the principal songwriter. We will see, but hopes aren’t high.
- Anthrax – Kings Among Scotland – (Megaforce Records): A Live DVD and CD that was recorded last year. It is Anthrax, of course it is going to get a spin or two. Plus, the album is a shout out to Kiss’ Rock & Roll Over cover! Not much else to say on this.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 27th”
Anderson East’s ‘Encore’ is the follow-up to his label debut album ‘Delilah’. With ‘Encore’, Anderson is finding himself and bringing us such a powerful vocal performance. His voice was so soulful with that grittiness and emotion that it reminded me of Joe Cocker. For that reason alone, I really dug this album.
He had some help with this album with songs written by Chris Stapleton (“King for a Day”) and Ed Sheeran (“All On My Mind”) both personal favorites. He also reworked songs by Ted Hawkins (“Sorry Your Sick”) and Willie Nelson (“Somebody Pick Up My Pieces”).
One of my favorites from the album is the upbeat song “Girlfriend” which feels like he is in church testifying his love to the congregation using horns and synthesizer (organ sounds) to give it that churchy feel.
Continue reading “Anderson East – ‘Encore’ – Album Review”
October is flying by and there are a bunch of new ones available this week…even Christmas albums if you are so inclined. There are some brand new bands, some old favorites and some fabulous reissues/deluxe editions. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know which ones you are interested in with a comment below. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Sons of Apollo – Pyschotic Symphony – (Inside Out Music): Another supergroup and another one featuring Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy. If you liked in The Winery Dogs, this is not the Winery Dogs. This is a much heavier band with Jeff Scott Soto on lead vocals rather than Richie Kotzen. Also on the record is Bumblefoot on guitar and Derek Sherinian that make this a massive group with a massive sound. Can’t wait to dive into this one.
- Europe – Walk the Earth – (Silver Lining Music): Europe is still putting out quality albums after 35+ years in the business. The took most of the 90’s off, but came roar back in the 2000’s and have been non-stop ever since. I have held off from listening to anything on this one yet as I want to take it in all at once.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 20th”
Finally, a Country album worth writing about. I can not stand the pop country music that is played on the radio today. It is all fluff and no substance. Country music should make you feel something and tell a great story. The only thing I feel with most of country music today is…well…nothing. That is the problem.
That changed with the appearance of Chris Stapleton on to the scene. He is what Country music should be. With his first album, ‘Traveller’, back in 2015, Chris brought the old school brand of Country music back for everyone to enjoy. He was one of the most talked about new artist to come around in a long, long time. The funny thing is he really isn’t new as he has been a songwriter for years, but was finally able to break through as a solo artist.
‘From A Room: Volume 1’ was recorded Nashville at the famed RCA Studio A where some of the greats recorded such as Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings. Their spirit is heard throughout the album and brings back the old school Country music that we have longed to hear for years.
Continue reading “Chris Stapleton – From A Room: Volume 1 – Album Review”
It is the last Friday of April…amazing how time flies. We have a lot of albums coming out today, but nothing that really excites me. I will pick a couple to listen to, but it looks like a good week to get caught up on previously released albums from the last couple weeks. I hope you can find something that tickles your fancy. Mine are highlighted in Blue.
- John Mellencamp – Sad Clowns & Hillbillies – (John J. Mellencamp): Always a fan of the former Mr. Cougar. Whatever he puts out I always give a spin and see what he has to offer. I haven’t heard anything yet so not sure what to expect. I do know it is his 23rd release and will feature Carlene Carter throughout. We will see…or I guess we will hear soon enough.
- The Cranberries – Something Else – (The Cranberries & BMG): It has been 5 years since a Cranberries release and that is way too long to go between albums especially for a band as talented as them. Glad to get some new material even if it is only 3 new songs. The rest are acoustic and orchestral versions of 10 previous hits. I am not overly greedy so I will be happy with the 3 new singles even thought I would have preferred a full album of new songs.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – April 28th”
It is yet another Friday and another long list of new releases. However, this week does not hold a lot that I am interested in giving a listen. Hopefully there is something of interest to you so let me know what you like.
The albums I am interested in listening to are highlighted in Blue as usual.
- Usher – Hard II Love – (RCA): Usher always has some great songs and I can’t wait to see what he has in store for us on this release. He is the essence of cool, but this album cover is not the most attractive cover I have seen.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – September 16th”