It is time for the Top 20 Songs of 2016. My previous post, if you missed it, was the Top 20 Rock Songs of 2016. Go check it out by clicking on the link. These 20 songs are all other genres other than rock. Some were popular and chart toppers and others were not. They are my favorites, that touched me in some way.
Let’s get started…
20. “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars off the album ’24K Magic’: Ok, I love this song. There is something about Bruno that I enjoy. It is what you come to expect from Bruno and that isn’t a bad thing. Very catchy and makes you want to dance.
19. “White Flag” by Joseph off the album ‘I’m Alone, No You’re Not’: I saw them open for James Bay and this song was one of their many standouts. These three woman can sing and harmonize so well together. Their album is well worth picking up.
18. “Shadows” by The Afters off the album ‘Live On Forever’: The Christian band rocks out a little and makes me want to dance a little as well. One of my favorite songs they have ever done.
17. “Send My Love (To Your New Lover)” by Adele off the album ’25’: I know this song technically came out in 2015, but it was released as a single in 2016. She has an amazing voice, but I think I like what the song is about. Give it a listen and you will understand.
16. “Can’t Stop The Feeling” by Justin Timberlake off ‘The Trolls Soundtrack’: So glad to have some new music for Justin. I am actually a huge fan of his music. If the radio didn’t so overplay this song, it would have been higher on the list. It is catchy and your typical Pop song, but it is Justin!
15. “Just Like Fire” by P!nk off the ‘Alice Through the Looking Glass Soundtrack’: I love P!nk. I like her toughness and she always has a little edge to her. The song is classic P!nk and she can seem to do no wrong.
14. “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande off the album ‘Dangerous Woman’: This is a song I never thought I would have on my list. Ariana Grande gets away from trying to imitate Mariah with her vocal power and range and goes a different direction. The voice shines and this direction is a great direction to go in for her. I think I liked it because I didn’t know it was her.
13. “Close (feat. Tove Lo) by Nick Jonas off the album ‘Last Year Was Complicated’: Not a huge Nick Jonas fan, but I really enjoyed this one and with Tove Lo mixed in it was a great pop song when there are so few out there.
12. “The Music” by Carey Durham off the album ‘Mr. Music’: The soulfulness of Carey’s voice just drags you in and the vibe of the song keeps you wanting more. What a voice! It is so smooth.
11. “Mercy” by Shawn Mendes off the album ‘Illuminate’: I have to thank my youngest daughter for this one. She is crazy about Shawn Mendes and after having to sit through many, many listens of this album I found I kept singing this song. He has some talent and is actually pretty good.
10. “If The House Burns Down Tonight” by Switchfoot off the album ‘Where the Light Shines Through’: This song talks about that having your family is really all that matters. If all you possessions burned that it doesn’t matter as long as you have your family. I couldn’t agree more.
9. “Used to Love You” by Gwen Stefani off the album ‘This Is What The Truth Feels Like’: Gwen is back and pours her heart into her first single after her divorce from Gavin Rossdale. I think she hit it out the park and you the lyrics explain the situation perfectly.
8. “Dancing On My Own” by Callum Scott – single: The song is a cover originally performed by Robyn, but his version is amazing. He has such a great voice and I can’t wait to hear a full album by this guy someday soon.
7. “Heathens” by Twenty-One Pilots off the album ‘Suicide Squad: The Album’: Thanks to my oldest daughter for this one. She listens to this band a lot and got me to listen to this song and of course it is on the radio a lot. I actually think it is a cool sounding song. It has a darkness to it which always draws me in.
6. “The River” by Jordan Feliz off the album ‘The River’: This is another song that I fell in love with this song the very first time I heard it. Jordan is a Christain artist, but his songwriting and singing are better than anything on Pop Radio.
5. “G-Train” by Thirdstory off the album ‘Searching E.P.’: I first heard this song when they were the opening act for Tori Kelly. I will always be partial to the live version, but this version is amazing. The harmonies of these guys is second-to-none. A cool vibe and sound to this song.
4. “Million Reasons” by Lady Gaga off the album ‘Joanne’: The whole album was such new direction for her and a great one at that. This song had so much emotion and fell in love with it the first time to listening to the album. Could be one of her best to date.
3. “Pillowtalk” by Zayn off the album ‘Mind of Mine’: I know it is the guy from One Direction, but I really loved this song. It is a great pop song and a nice departure from his former band. Too bad it was the only good song from the album.
2. “Clear” by Needtobreathe off the album ‘HARDLOVE’: I hear this song and all I think about is my wife and my family. It is ‘clear’ to me that they are my reason for living and the best thing that has ever happened to me. This would have been #1 if it wasn’t for the message of the #1 song.
The #1 Song of 2016:
#1. “Thy Will” by Hillary Scott & the Scott Family off the album ‘Love Remains’: This was the most touching song I heard all year. It was a great reminder that we are not in control and there is a reason for everything that happens even though we might not understand that reason right now. With all the crap that is on the radio, this was a breath of fresh air that proves the story of the song still maters.