I have been wanting to see Hired Gun since it was announced as a documentary in the Summer of 2017. Thanks to Netflix, I finally got that chance. If you don’t know what it is, I will tell you.
‘Hired Gun’ is a documentary about those musicians singers and bands hire to be in the band whether to help make an album or to do a tour. They are the “hired guns” and they aren’t actual members of the band. For me, that sounded like a very interesting story to be told. What do these musicians/artists go through to get the gig and to actually keep that gig.
The people they interview are incredible musicians. You might not know them all by name, but you would probably recognize a lot their work. They are as follows:
- Liberty Devito (Billy Joel)
- Jason Hook (Five Finger Death Punch)
- Phil X (Bon Jovi)
- Eric Singer (Kiss)
- Ray Parker, Jr. (Ghostbusters)
- Justin Derrico (P!nk)
- Rudy Sarzo (Ozzy Osbourne)
- Steve Lukather (Michael Jackson)
- Kenny Arnoff (John Mellencamp)
- Jason Newsted (Metallica)
Continue reading “Hired Gun – Documentary Review”
It is time for the Top 20 Songs of 2017. My previous post, if you missed it, was the Top 20 Rock Songs of 2017. Go check it out by clicking on the link. These 20 songs are all genres other than rock. Some were popular and chart toppers and others were not. They are my favorites, that touched me in some way so don’t expect any indie bands or anything trendy. If you want that go to one of the cool sites out there, this ain’t it.
If you missed the Top Rock Albums of 2017 or the Top Albums of 2017 (that were not Rock), just click on the link and go check them out.
Let’s get started…
#20 – “Something Just Like This” by the Chainsmokers featuring Coldplay off the album ‘Memories…Do Not Open’: This song was a family favorite during the year. The one song the wife liked as well as all the kids and as a result, I heard it a lot and it grew on me to where I stopped and listened to it when it came on the radio. A catchy little song with a great beat.
Continue reading “Top Songs of 2017”
The year is almost over so it is time to look back at what was awesome in music during the year. I have already looked back at the Top Rock Albums of 2017 (click to read). This list will cover all other genres that I listened to over the year including Pop, Country, Christian and whatever other genre you want classify these albums. Rock is my favorite genre and that is why it gets it’s own list, but that doesn’t take away from any of these choices as I think they are great on their own.
Note: These albums were my favorites and not necessarily the most played on the radio (which I hate the radio) or even the biggest sellers. There aren’t the trendy indie bands on everyone else’s top albums list. These are just what I came across during the year and connected with me in some way. So, we might as well get started…
The #1 Album of 2017
Colton Dixon – ‘Identity’: What??? Not Taylor or Harry or Ed?? Nope!!! Colton Dixon’s album ‘Identity’ was the album that did it for me this year. Colton’s very pop album, but a Christian based album, is what I found to be best this past year. The album was a loosely based concept album which was broken down into 3 parts – The Mind, The Body & The Soul. He was able to rock out, dance, and slow it down all with precision. You couldn’t help getting caught up in the messages of the songs and I am still listening to it even though it came out real early in the year. That says something right there.
Continue reading “The Top Albums of 2017”
Here we are on another Friday and another week of great releases. But before I get into that I just noticed that this is my 400th post since I started. Crazy to think it I have been able to think of that many things to write about and that people still come to check out the site. Pretty cool.
Okay back to the post…If you like rock, there is a plethora of new music. There is probably a little something for everyone. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are looking to pick up. I hope you find something. Have a great weekend.
- Revolution Saints – Light in the Dark – (Frontiers Records): Frontiers Records has a knack for putting together little supergroups. Most of the time those supergroups only last one album. Thankfully, Revolution Saints are back with record number two!! Who is in Revolution Saints you may ask (please ask)? Well, I am glad you asked…you get Jack Blades (Night Ranger and Damn Yankees), Deen Castronovo (Journey and Ozzy) and Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake, Dio, Dead Daisies). The first album was spectacular and expect more of the same greatness.
- Fozzy – Judas – (Century Media): When you hear the name Chris Jericho, what is the first thing you think of??? Wrestling?? No, Heavy Metal Music. Chris has been lead singer of Fozzy for 18 years and they are now on their seventh album with ‘Judas’. As I always, I look forward to hearing what they bring to the table each time and this time is no different.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 13th”
It is time for the Top 20 Songs of 2016. My previous post, if you missed it, was the Top 20 Rock Songs of 2016. Go check it out by clicking on the link. These 20 songs are all other genres other than rock. Some were popular and chart toppers and others were not. They are my favorites, that touched me in some way.
If you missed the Top Rock Albums of 2016 or the Top Albums of 2016 (that were not Rock), just click on the link and go check them out.
Let’s get started…
20. “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars off the album ’24K Magic’: Ok, I love this song. There is something about Bruno that I enjoy. It is what you come to expect from Bruno and that isn’t a bad thing. Very catchy and makes you want to dance.
Continue reading “The Top 20 Songs of 2016”