King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard are on ambitious trek to release 5 albums in one year. ‘Murder of the Universe’ is the second one so far. Their first, which I reviewed, was “Flying Microtonal Banana” and I found it to be a sensational record. Go check out the review. I also review their album “Nonagon Infinity” which was another great album.
This, their tenth album, is a concept album and the concept is so far out there, that I can’t eloquently explain it. I will have to let someone else’s words do the work for me. I do know the album is broken out into three separate chapters. The first two chapters are narrated by Leah Senior and she has an almost godlike personae. The final chapter is narrated by a Free Text to Speech at NaturalReaders.com. It sounds like the typed the story into the website and it did the narration. Very interesting.
Outside of that I can’t describe this album’s story. I will leave it to Wikipedia to do that for me…
The first (chapter), The Tale of the Altered Beast explores themes of temptation, and tells a tale of a human who stumbles upon a mystical human/beast hybrid, dubbed the Altered Beast. The story starts from the perspective of the human being pursued, who slowly takes interest in the idea of being altered – as it is considered taboo in their society. The perspective then changes to the Altered Beast’s itself, who is filled with murderous intent to kill. The human encountered by the beast slowly gives into temptation into becoming altered once the beast confronts them, as they crave power. Accepting of their fate, the beast and human merge, creating a newly altered beast, who now craves even more for flesh. However, the beast suffers greatly from absorbing another conscience – it loses track of its identity and eventually dies of insanity, decaying into the earth.
Continue reading “King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – ‘Murder of the Universe’ – Album Review”
Happy Friday! I hope your Summer is going well. This week has very few releases that are on my radar so not a lot to choose from. There are a couple that will get a spin and maybe I can catch up on all the releases earlier in the month. The ones I will listen to are highlighted in Blue…as usual.
- Imagine Dragons – Evolve – (Interscope): The pop/rock band is back with their third studio release. After breaking on to the scene in 2012 with “Radioactive, they hope to capture the magic yet again. If “Believer” is any indication of what is to come, we should have another great release.
- King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – Murder of the Universe – (Flightless Records): King Gizzard returns with their 2nd album of 2017. The first ‘Flying Microtonal Banana’ was exceptional and can they repeat the magic so quickly? We will see. Plus, they intend to release 4 to 5 albums this year so they better get moving as we are almost half way through the year. This album appears to be quite different from the last as it is broken up into 3 chapters to tell an overall story I am assuming. I will have to wait and hear I guess. NOTE: Video has a warning that if you are susceptible to seizures, DO NOT watch the video.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 23rd”
For those that follow my blog, they might remember one of my first Music Challenges where I listened to an album based off the band’s name, album cover or name of the album. I picked King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard’s album strictly because of their band name. And to my surprise, I really loved the album. When I saw they had a new album out, I naturally gravitated toward it and gave it a spin…a lot of spins.
Their new album is called ‘Flying Microtonal Banana’ and is their 9th studio album since 2012..that is right…9th!! They also are planning on releasing not one, not two, but FIVE albums this year. Pretty ambitious and we will wait and see if they actually able to achieve said goal.
The band is out of Australia and actually has seven members.
- Stu Mackenzie – lead vocals
- Ambrose Kenny Smith – keyboards/synthesizer
- Joey Walker – lead guitar
- Cook Craig – rhythm guitar
- Lucas Skinner – bass guitar
- Eric Moore – drums
- Michael Cavanagh – drums
The current release has nine tracks and is as wild and experimental sounding as the last release. Where the last release was one continuous song basically broken up into 9 parts and the music never stopped playing, this album went a little more traditional where you could tell when one song ended and the other began.
Continue reading “King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – ‘Flying Microtonal Banana’ – Album Review”
There is a lot of Rock albums out today and I am super excited and hope I can get through them all. Frontiers Records normally does 4 albums every month but today they bring us 5 albums that could keep me very busy. I have highlighted in Blue the ones I am most excited about. I am sure there is something this week for everyone.
- King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – Flying Microtonal Banana – (Flightless Records): King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard are back after only one year and now they are top on my list. I had never heard of them until I did a music challenge where I pick an album to listen to based solely on the band name, the album name or the album cover and I picked them. Read about it here. I found that album to be stellar and now they will be the first thing I listen to on this day out of all the new releases. They are a very unique band and probably an acquired taste and the song “Rattlesnake” makes me a little worried about this release, but I will still listen.
- Mike Tramp – Maybe Tomorrow – (Target Records): Mike Tramp keeps pumping out the solo music and he brings us a new one to enjoy. The former lead singer of 80’s rock band, White Lion, has carved path in his solo work that is nothing like his former band and that is okay. He never disappoints.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 24th”
2016 is about to be over so it is time to look back on the year and see what amazing albums rocked my world this year. It was a great year indeed. This was the year I started this blog back in April and it has been a blast. I have listened to a lot of albums this year so I had stuff to write about and it really made the year special.
This list will be my favorite “Rock” albums of the year. All other types of music will be for a later post. I am going to leave this one to my favorite genre. It is a broad genre, but these are the albums that I consider to be ROCK!!
Also note, these are MY FAVORITES!! These are not the most popular or possibly even the ones that have sold the most. These are the albums that I connected with during the year and kept coming back to again and again. And without further adieu, here are the Top Rock Albums of 2016:
My #1 Album of the Year:
Hellyeah – UnDen!able (Eleven Seven Music): This album screams Rock & Roll to me! It is heavy and pounding with aggressive vocals and lyrics and was perfect for me when I got stuck in traffic and needed to vent a little. With songs like “Startariot”, “X”, “Scratch A Lie” and “Be Undeniable”, I was completely satisfied with this gem. Check out the review at this link to see what I thought in detail about the album.
Continue reading “The Top Rock Albums of 2016”
Alright, it is time for another music challenge. Go listen to an album that you have never heard before and pick it strictly off the Band Name, the Album Name, or the Album Cover. Once you have listened to one, come back and tell me what you picked and what you thought.
My pick was based strictly off the Band Name. And that band name is King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard. How could I not pick this one. That is a great band name.
The band was formed in 2010 and this is their 8th studio album. That is right, I said 8 albums and in 6 years. No band nowadays does that. They are a 7 piece band out of Australia and they could be classified as psychedelic rock / alternative / experimental / I don’t know what.
Continue reading “Music Challenge – King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard”