Another Friday and another week of some great releases. There are some re-issues and so old bands back with new singers and some newer bands as well. Hopefully there is something for you. The two that really peak my interests are highlighted in Blue as usual. Leave me a comment on what interests you this week…if anything. Also, let me know if I am missing anything as that is usually the case. Happy Friday!!
- Stone Temple Pilots – Stone Temple Pilots – (Play Pen Music): The boys in STP are back and with a new lead singer, Jeff Gutt. The three songs I have heard are great and I am looking forward to the rest. Jeff sounds a little like the late, great Scott Weilan, but he also has his own sound and style. The old STP sound is there as well so hopefully the have their groove back and we will see some great things from them. Give it a try…if for no other reason than my brother-in-law was involved with recording the album. That makes it worth it right there alone!!
- Dorothy – 28 Days in the Valley – (Roc Nation Records): A new band on the scene is Dorothy. The band really delivers some great, heavy, old school blues rock & roll. The lead singer, Dorothy Martin, is a powerhouse and force to be reckoned with. Her searing vocals exploded on the scene with “Raise a Little Hell” and can’t wait to hear what she has to offer this time around.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – March 16th”
Welcome to the Top 20 Rock Songs of 2016. These songs are my favorite songs of the year and were not necessarily played on the radio or even shot up the charts. They just moved me in some way good or bad!
If you missed the Top Rock Albums of 2016 or the Top Albums of 2016 (that were not Rock), just click on the link and go check them out.
It is time to start the list so here we go…
20. “Parasite (feat. John 5)” by Ace Frehley off the album ‘Origins, Vol. 1’: I wouldn’t pick a covers song for this list if this one wasn’t so damn good. John 5 on guitar is amazing and since this is an old Kiss song it is perfect for Ace. I think it sounds better than the original.
19. “Raise Hell” by Dorothy off the album ‘RockisDead’: This bluesy gem from Dorothy has such a great sound and Dorothy’s vocals are perfect for this style. I expect big things from this band!
Continue reading “The Top 20 Rock Songs of 2016”
2016 is about to be over so it is time to look back on the year and see what amazing albums rocked my world this year. It was a great year indeed. This was the year I started this blog back in April and it has been a blast. I have listened to a lot of albums this year so I had stuff to write about and it really made the year special.
This list will be my favorite “Rock” albums of the year. All other types of music will be for a later post. I am going to leave this one to my favorite genre. It is a broad genre, but these are the albums that I consider to be ROCK!!
Also note, these are MY FAVORITES!! These are not the most popular or possibly even the ones that have sold the most. These are the albums that I connected with during the year and kept coming back to again and again. And without further adieu, here are the Top Rock Albums of 2016:
My #1 Album of the Year:
Hellyeah – UnDen!able (Eleven Seven Music): This album screams Rock & Roll to me! It is heavy and pounding with aggressive vocals and lyrics and was perfect for me when I got stuck in traffic and needed to vent a little. With songs like “Startariot”, “X”, “Scratch A Lie” and “Be Undeniable”, I was completely satisfied with this gem. Check out the review at this link to see what I thought in detail about the album.
Continue reading “The Top Rock Albums of 2016”
Thank goodness it is Friday. What a week. Work has been crazy so I can’t wait to listen to some new music. Not much this week I am excited about, but there are a few I want to hear (and they are in blue).
- The Avett Brothers – True Sadness – (Republic) – Not familiar with them, but I heard the new song “Ain’t No Man” and thought it was great. Now I want to listen to the whole thing.
- Dorothy – ROCKISDEAD – (Roc Nation) – Another band I am not familiar with but the first single is awesome and peaked my interest. This might be my drive into work album and I will save the Avett Brothers for the drive home.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 24th”