For this time around on The Original vs. The Cover, we are going to discuss the classic song, “I Shot The Sheriff”. The original was by Bob Marley & the Wailers and the cover was by Eric Clapton. Two heavy hitting artists this time around, but which one will come out on top? The song was written by Bob Marley and released back in 1973 on the album ‘Burnin”. Eric released his cover only a year later in 1974 on his album 461 Ocean Boulevard. Marley’s version didn’t chart, but Clapton went all the way to #1 on the U.S. Charts.
The song is supposedly about a man who is harassed by the sheriff and he ends up shooting the officer, but claims it was really self-defense. According to Marly only parts of the song are true, but we don’t which ones. Now in 2012, Bob Marley’s old girlfriend, Esther Anderson, claims the song was about how Marley was opposed to her using birth control. She claimed if you switch the word sheriff with doctor on the 2nd verse, it would make sense. I have to say, I am not sure I believe her, but an interesting twist anyway.
Now, sit back and let’s discuss each song and pick a winner.
BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS
Continue reading “The Original vs. The Cover – “I Shot the Sheriff””
Happy New Year and welcome to the first Friday New Releases of 2018. Why is this the first since it is the 2nd Friday of the new year? Well, it is the first week with any new releases worth mentioning. And there are a few worth mentioning…at least for me. The ones I want are highlighted in Blue.
- Joe Satriani – What Happens Next – (Sony Music): The Satch man is back and I couldn’t be happier. Well, I could if someone sent this to me in CD or vinyl form. Since that won’t happen, I will stream it for now. He is my favorite guitarists and I love how is able to make the guitar sing in each song. He is amazing. Looking forward to more great stuff especially since this album features Glenn Hughes on Bass and Chad Smith on Drums. This should be awesome!!
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Wrong Creatures – (Abstract Dragon): The American rock band out of San Francisco returns for the 8th studio album. I love their retro, gritty, distorted guitars with a punk edge. The song I have heard sounds like what I expect and I expect great things!
- Anderson East – Encore – (Elektra Records): I heard the song “All On My Mind” that was written with Ed Sheeran and I liked what I heard. Not real familiar with him, but if the album is anything like the song, sounds like it could be great. Plus, the man is dating Miranda Lambert!! Damn!!
- Dr. Demento Covered in Punk – Various Artists – (Demented Punk): Ok, I heard the Cramp’s song “Garbageman” performed by William Shatner and it is fucking awesome!!! Excuse my language, but it is!!!
- BØRNS – Blue Madonna – (Interscope Records): I really enjoyed his last album for its uniqueness, his voice and the songs. I am hoping for a step up with this release. His music is labeled as many things including indie pop, psychedelic pop, synth pop, electronica pop and alt rock and it is every one of these labels. Not my usual cup of tea, but I dig it!!
- Camila Cabello – Camila – (Simco Ltd)
- Bob Marley – Kingston Sessions: Vintage Years – (JA Records)
- Tinsley Ellis – Winning Hand – (Alligator Records)
- Corrosion of Conformity – No Cross No Crown – (Nuclear Blast Entertainment)
- Leaves’ Eyes – Sign of the Dragonhead – (AFM Records)
- Black Veil Brides – Vale – (Republic Records)
It is Thanksgiving time here in the States and I definitely have a lot to be thankful for. In celebration of this wonderful Holiday, here are a collection of songs about giving thanks or at least things we should be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving to you all and thank you for taking the time to stop by and check out the blog. It is much appreciated.
“Thank You For Loving Me” by Bon Jovi off the album ‘Crush’. If you have that special someone, make sure to tell them Thank You for being a part of your life and for loving you for you. If you don’t have that special someone, I love you!! So you are welcome!!
“Give Thanks And Praise” by Bob Marley off the album ‘Confrontation’. Actually not a bad way to start everyday by giving thanks for waking up and giving praise to our maker.
Continue reading “Giving “Thanks” – Playlist – Happy Thanksgiving”