The year is almost over so it is time to look back at what was awesome in music during the year. I have already looked back at the Top Rock Albums of 2018 (click to read). This list will cover all other genres that I listened to over the year including Pop, Country, Christian and whatever other genre you want classify these albums. Rock is my favorite genre and that is why it gets it’s own list, but that doesn’t take away from any of these choices as I think they are great on their own.
Note: These albums were my favorites and not necessarily the most played on the radio (which I hate the radio) or even the biggest sellers. There aren’t the trendy indie bands on everyone else’s top albums list. These are just what I came across during the year and connected with me in some way. So, we might as well get started…
The #1 Album of 2018
Matt Nathanson – Sings His Sad Heart: Man, what can I say about this guy. He is my favorite singer/songwriter out their right now and has been for sometime. Within just a couple listens to this album I felt like I knew all the words and I was singing right along like I had grown up with these songs. And how do you know an album is great, you keep singing it when you aren’t even listening to it. Yes, I was and I am still singing. The songs “Mine”, “Way Way Back”, “Used To Be” “Long Distant Runner” and “Best Drugs” are some of my favorites but there is not a bad song. Perfect!!
Continue reading “The Top Albums of 2018”
I would venture to say that I am not in the same demographic this album is geared towards. I am a 49 year old male who does not frequent dance clubs or listen to much pop radio, but you what? I don’t care. I am really digging this album and the fact I say I am digging this album proves I am not the audience for this music.
The album ‘Blue Madonna’ is BØRNS second full length studio release and a follow-up to his 2015 stellar release ‘Dopamine’. With a name like BØRNS, the sound of his music and his whole style, I thought he was some European act that was breaking in America. Boy, I was wrong. He is actually from Michigan and a full on American.
He has his own style for sure as you can see by that amazing outfit on the cover. I am no where cool enough to pull off that look. BØRNS has a whole androgynous vibe about him as well with his hair, his clothes and his very high vocal range which adds to his mystique. His falsetto will leave Adam Levine very jealous. Now I guess I should talk about the music.
The sound and sonic vibe of the album is a mixture of pop, psychedelic pop and electro-pop. The album is a little moody and dark at times. This is definitely not something I am normally drawn to, but there is something about his songs that attracts me to it. Ever since I heard his first hit “Electric Love” back in 2016, I have been a fan. And with his first single off the album, “Faded Heart”, I was anticipating another great album and I wasn’t disappointed.
Continue reading “BØRNS – ‘Blue Madonna’ – Album Review”
Happy New Year and welcome to the first Friday New Releases of 2018. Why is this the first since it is the 2nd Friday of the new year? Well, it is the first week with any new releases worth mentioning. And there are a few worth mentioning…at least for me. The ones I want are highlighted in Blue.
- Joe Satriani – What Happens Next – (Sony Music): The Satch man is back and I couldn’t be happier. Well, I could if someone sent this to me in CD or vinyl form. Since that won’t happen, I will stream it for now. He is my favorite guitarists and I love how is able to make the guitar sing in each song. He is amazing. Looking forward to more great stuff especially since this album features Glenn Hughes on Bass and Chad Smith on Drums. This should be awesome!!
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Wrong Creatures – (Abstract Dragon): The American rock band out of San Francisco returns for the 8th studio album. I love their retro, gritty, distorted guitars with a punk edge. The song I have heard sounds like what I expect and I expect great things!
- Anderson East – Encore – (Elektra Records): I heard the song “All On My Mind” that was written with Ed Sheeran and I liked what I heard. Not real familiar with him, but if the album is anything like the song, sounds like it could be great. Plus, the man is dating Miranda Lambert!! Damn!!
- Dr. Demento Covered in Punk – Various Artists – (Demented Punk): Ok, I heard the Cramp’s song “Garbageman” performed by William Shatner and it is fucking awesome!!! Excuse my language, but it is!!!
- BØRNS – Blue Madonna – (Interscope Records): I really enjoyed his last album for its uniqueness, his voice and the songs. I am hoping for a step up with this release. His music is labeled as many things including indie pop, psychedelic pop, synth pop, electronica pop and alt rock and it is every one of these labels. Not my usual cup of tea, but I dig it!!
- Camila Cabello – Camila – (Simco Ltd)
- Bob Marley – Kingston Sessions: Vintage Years – (JA Records)
- Tinsley Ellis – Winning Hand – (Alligator Records)
- Corrosion of Conformity – No Cross No Crown – (Nuclear Blast Entertainment)
- Leaves’ Eyes – Sign of the Dragonhead – (AFM Records)
- Black Veil Brides – Vale – (Republic Records)