The Fratellis released their fifth studio album back in March, titled ‘In Your Own Sweet Time’ and it has been on repeat. This album shows us a band who is comfortable being who they are and shows a confidence in both the band and the music.
The album is full of infectious pop melodies and a sound that is strictly their own. The songs are fun and enjoyable enough to play over and over despite the lyrics not always being so happy-go-lucky. They will make you want to dance or just sit back and enjoy while you are tapping your feet. It is a total feel good album.
Continue reading “The Fratellis – ‘In Your Own Sweet Time’ – Album Review”
My Sunday Song #83 is “Whistle for the Choir” by The Fratellis. The song is off their debut album ‘Costello Music’ which peaked at #2 on the UK charts and gave us a few hits including “Chelsea Dagger”. However, I really liked this song the best. “Whistle for the Choir” was their third single off the albums and it reached #9 giving them their 2nd Top 10 hit in the UK. I don’t see where they did very well in the States which is a shame.
The Fratellis are a Scottish trio with a very retro feel and garage rock sound. This song for me is more of the retro feel as it is a slow ballad using only an acoustic, bass and drum (well it’s a trio – what else are they going to use). The song has a Beatlesque quality to it and even a little Ray Davies vibe. I think for those reasons, the song struck a chord with me. The simple sound and hypnotic beat pulled me in and put me in a trance where I swayed back and forth while listening. It was encapsulating. There is a little guitar solo, but also a nice whistle solo as well.
The song tells the story of a guy, who after a night out on the town, meets a girl that is way out of his league. This doesn’t stop him. He is going to try and get her anyway. The nice thing is it doesn’t tell you if he gets the girl or not.
Continue reading “My Sunday Song – “Whistle for the Choir” by The Fratellis”
Finally a Friday with an abundance of new releases. There are so many I am interested in that this could take awhile. I hope to get to them all sooner or later. I think there is a little something for everyone today. The ones that are striking my fancy are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you are looking forward to getting or if I am missing something added to the comments. Have a great listening weekend.
- Myles Kennedy – Year of the Tiger – (Napalm Records): Whether with Alter Bridge, Slash or just by himself, there is no getting by the immense talent that is Myles Kennedy. He can definitely sing, but his guitar playing is just as sensational. Looking forward to the focus being all about him. I have purposely not listened to anything off this album yet so I can enjoy it all at one time.
- Judas Priest – Firepower – (Sony Music): Judas Priest is back with a brand new album. Enough said…Mic drop!!!
- Thirdstory – Cold Heart – (Verve Label Group): After waiting for two years, we finally get the full length album they have been promising. My daughter and I saw them open for Tori Kelly two years ago and we bot really enjoyed their harmonies and just the power of their voices. Three guys doing amazing things singing together. We are going to see them again in April when they headline a little club here in Charlotte.
- Calum Scott – Only Human – (Capitol Records): This former Britain’s Got Talent contestant from 2015 finally gets his debut album. After the release of his cover of “Dancing On My Own”, I was completely blown away by his vocals. Can’t wait to enjoy this one.
- Three Days Grace – Outsider – (RCA Records): I have had two heavy and two soft albums and now back to heavy with Three Days Grace. I followed them since their debut in 2003 with the song “I Hate Everything About You”. They have given me consistently good albums and I expect nothing less from this hard rock band out of Canada.
- Jimi Hendrix – Both Sides of the Sky – (Experience Hendrix LLC): Jimi Hendrix…worth giving a listen solely for that matter. This is the third and final in a series of unreleased tracks and surprised their have been so many and why did it take so long for them to come out.
- The Fratellis – In Your Own Sweet Time – (Cooking Vinyl): (MOVED TO MARCH 16) And there is still one more I want to hear and that is the Fratellis. When I heard their album Costello Music, I adored their sound and the whole vibe. As a result, I have been absorbing all their albums and this one will be no different.
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats – Tearing at the Seams – (Bottleneck Music)
- The Neighbourhood – The Neighbourhood – (Columbia Records)
- Suicidal Tendencies – Get Your Fight On! – (Suicidal Records)
- Ministry – AmeriKKKant – (Nuclear Blast)
- Nightwish – Decades – (Nuclear Blast Records)
- David Byrne – American Utopia – (Todomundo LTD)