In the fledgling days of MTV, they didn’t have a ton of videos so a lot of bands that weren’t getting played on the radio, suddenly had prominence on MTV simply because they had a video. One lucky band was The Tubes with their amazing song and video for “She’s A Beauty”. The song was released in 1983 and was off their album ‘Outside Inside’. The song reached all the way to #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 thanks to MTV. I know I became a fan off that video and the constant rotation on MTV. When I came across the 45 a few months back, I had to grab it.
The song was written by Fee Waybill, famed producer David Foster and Steve Lukather from the band Toto. And the inspiration for the song came from a San Francisco peep show where Fee paid $1 to talk to a naked woman. The conversation was rather frustrating and that frustration turned into the song. There is a line in the song that references that conversation…”She’ll give you every penny’s worth / But it will cost you a dollar first” (thanks to Fee for discussing this in a YouTube video for the song).
Continue reading “The Tubes – “She’s A Beauty” (The 45 Single)”
Happy Friday!!…or is it? Well of course it is, it’s new release Friday. There is not a whole lot I am pyched to listen to this week. Some I might give a spin, but only one will get listened to today for sure and it is highlighted in Blue. Otherwise, not much else that is exciting me. Let me know what floats your boat. Thanks.
- Franz Ferdinand – Always Ascending – (Domino Recording Co.); The Scottish indie rock band is back with their fifth album. I have been a fan since the beginning which is strange for me as I usually don’t like the whole indie rock vibe, but Franz gave me a nice retro rock feel with a lot of distortion. I don’t know what this one has to offer yet, but I will give it a listen.
- Toto – Greatest Hits: 40 Trips Around the Sun – (Sony Music)
- Sister Hazel – Water – (Croakin’ Poet Records)
- Voodoo Circle – Raised on Rock – (AFM Records)
- Dashboard Confessional – Crooked Shadows – (Fueled by Ramen)
- MGMT – Little Dark Age – (Columbia Records
- Elevation Collective – Evidence – (Elevation Worship Records)
- Social Club Misfits – Into the Night – (Capitol CMG Label)