After the demise of Generation X and Gen X, Billy would follow Bill Aucoin, his manager and Kiss’ former manager, to New York City to start a solo career. When Billy signed on with Gen X as their manager, he quickly learned that the star of this band was not the band, but its lead singer, Billy Idol.
When Billy got to New York, he met a lot of interesting people and really loved the club scene…and of course, the drug scene was something he enjoyed as well. If you read his book, “Dancing With Myself“ you can find out all about it so I won’t spoil the details here.
Billy was introduced to a guitarists at this time that would become just as big a part of Billy’s solo career as he was. He met Steve Stevens. There is no Billy Idol sound without Steve and his guitar playing is what makes Idol’s solo songs that much better.
With Steve Stevens in tow along with Phil Feit on bass and Gregg Gerson on drums, the band set out to record Billy’s first solo album. As a teaser and build up to his career, it was decided an E.P. would be put out, I guess to whet everyone’s whistle and draw up buzz on the singer. ‘Don’t Stop’ was the result. It was more of a dance album than the former punk sound Billy had and you could see the magic being developed on what would become an amazing run of albums in the 80’s.
Continue reading “Billy Idol – ‘Don’t Stop E.P.’ – Album Review (The Billy Idol Series)”
Okay Parrotheads! It is time to grab a Margarita and a Cheeseburger and head to Paradise. Climb in the hammock, sit back, relax and enjoy this collection of Jimmy Buffett memes from around the internet. It doesn’t matter what time it is because it is 5 O’Clock Somewhere so drink up!!…and light ’em if you got ’em.
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Jimmy Buffett”
I will give props to Michael Bolton for actually re-recording the songs with a symphony orchestra and not just phoning it in, but I don’t see the need for basically another greatest hits package of songs from 30 years ago that feels tired and boring and left me missing the days of this Michael Bolton…
Thanks to SuperDekes for the idea…go check out his #OneSentenceReview of Canadian Rockers Max Webster: Live Magnetic Air (1979).
Happy Friday! I can’t wait for the weekend! Why you ask? Duh, no work and all music all the time!! Not a whole lot this week, but a couple I will try out and they will be highlighted in Blue. Let me know if there is anything for you or let me know what I am missing out on. Hopefully there is something for you…I know that Bolton one is calling everyone’s name…”Listen to me (insert name here)”.
- 7eventh Time Down – Brand New Day – (BEC Recordings): A Christian rock band or pop rock…whatever you want to call it…I will give it a try. I have enjoyed their first few albums and there is always one or two songs that blow me away so hoping for more of that. I just like the positive messages and the good grooves. Check them out! (Update…I guess I need to stop doing these three weeks ahead because this got moved to March 1st…sorry about that).
- Sister Hazel – Fire E.P. – (Croakin’ Poet Records): I remember their 90’s hits (or at least “All for You”) so why not see what they have to offer in 2019. They are doing a lot of E.P.s. They did two last year (Water & Wind) and now comes Fire. I think I missed the other two so I will check this one out and go back and listen to the others.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 8th”
Let’s kick February off right with a collection of Goo Goo Doll Memes. Can you believe they actually have some? I didn’t think there would be, but I was wrong. They aren’t my favorite band, hell, they aren’t in the top whatever and that is okay. They had a couple good albums, but I think that was it. Anyway, here you go. I hope you enjoy.
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Goo Goo Dolls”
Wow, how are we already in to February. Time flies when you’re having fun. We are having fun…right??? Anyway, we don’t have a ton of releases…only 6 on my list this week. And maybe I will give them all a listen, I haven’t decided. There are two on my list this week for sure, the rest will make some time, if at all. Let me know if there is anything you are interested in or if I missed anything. Thanks and have a great music weekend.
- Tom Petty – The Best of Everything: The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016 – (Geffen Records): An extensive greatest hits collection for the Tom Petty fan consisting of 38 tracks from his Heartbreaker work, his solo work and even his Mudcrutch work. It is a pretty great track list with 2 unreleased tracks and an essay by Cameron Crowe. All just spectacular and must have for every Petty fan. (UPDATE: Apparently this got moved at the last minute to March 1st because when I wrote this up it was due to drop on Feb. 1st…sorry about that)
- American Authors – Seasons – (Island Records): This pop rock, alt rock band is back with their 3rd album. They have pretty great songs, but this one is attracting me more because of the two songs I have heard are exceptional. One with Billy Raffoul on it called “Say Amen” and the other is “Neighborhood” with Bear Rinehart from Needtobreathe. These are two people I really, really like and want everything they do so this is on my list for sure.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – February 1st”
Now we are in to full swing in the new year. The albums are starting to come out and today we have a long list of releases. There will hopefully be something for everyone. There are bunch I am interested in, but might not necessarily buy right now. They will be streamed to start with and I will pick up the ones I like the best. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know what you like or are interested in. Thanks and have a great musical weekend.
- Starbreaker – Dysphoria – (Frontiers Records): Tony Harnell and Magnus Karlsson team up again with the band’s third album and first in over 11 years…damn…way too long. It is metal, it is hard rock and it is usually great. Can’t wait to hear this one.
- Rival Sons – Feral Roots – (Atlantic Records): Rival Sons are one of those bands you just fall in love with immediately when you hear them. Now on their 6th studio album they just keep getting better. They are straight up rock & roll with a heavy blues influence and worth a listen. Give them a try.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 25th”
Last week did not have a bunch of releases and this week isn’t that much better, but there are at least more than last week. And there are a few I am actually interested in giving a spin. Those will be highlighted in Blue. There are a lot of Metal releases for those that like it a little bit harder than the rest. Hopefully there is something that will interest everyone. Let me know what you like or what I might have missed. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Switchfoot – Native Tongue – (Fantasy Records): The Christian/Alternative band is back with their 11th Studio album. I came across the band back in 2003 with their 4th album ‘The Beautiful Letdown” and have been a fan since. They can be pop, rock and sometimes even a beachy California Surf feel, but they are always consistent and the songs have a great message or story. I love Jon Foreman’s voice and I usually find very little wrong with their music. Give them a try.
- Papa Roach – Who Do You Trust? – (Eleven Seven Records): After less than 2 years since their last release, ‘Crooked Teeth’, Papa Roach are storming back on the scene. I like it when bands don’t wait the obligatory 2-3 years for new music. The last one was great so hoping for more of the same.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 18th”
Welcome to the First Friday New Releases of the New Year!! I hope 2019 is full of musical joy all year long. Let’s kick it off with this first, very limited, batch of releases to get the year started. There is some pop, some country, some metal and alternative. Hopefully something for you. Unfortunately nothing is jumping out at me as have to have, but will probably try the Taking Back Sunday one as they are usually good. Let me know what you like or what I missed. Have a great weekend!!
- Taking Back Sunday – Twenty – (Concord Music Group): Celebrating 20 years together as a band, TBS is back with a greatest hits compilation with 19 great tracks and 2 brand new songs. Might be worth it just for those 2 new ones. Here is one of their first hits, give it a view & a listen.
- Soilwork – Verkligheten – (Nuclear Blast)
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – January 11th”
Welcome to the first Tuesday’s Memes of 2019. I skipped last week since it was on New Year’s Day and I had other stuff I needed to post. We will start the year off with a collection of memes for Duran Duran. Why not? It is my site and I can post what I want so deal with it!!
I hope you enjoy!!
Now for the songs…
Continue reading “Tuesday’s Memes – Duran Duran”