You, my reader, are going to pick an album for me to review each month. It is really simple…first, I will give you 5 albums to choose from and second, you will tell me which one of those you would like to see reviewed on the site. See…simple!
There are a few simple rules I have put in to place in my selections. They are…
- One has to be a new release (within the last month)
- One has to be one I have never heard before (new releases don’t count for this one)
- One has to be from a genre I don’t normally listen to at all or very often
- And the last two are choices from my collection that I haven’t reviewed before
What are the 5 albums you ask? Funny you should ask because I have those right here…note: I tried to throw in some non-obvious choices to make things a little more interesting.
New Release – Adelitas Way – ‘Shine On’
Never Heard Before – Funkadelic – ‘Maggot Brain’
Not My Normal Genre – Stevie Wonder – ‘Songs in the Key of Life’
From My Collection – Mr. Mister – ‘Welcome to the Real World’
From My Collection – Genesis – ‘Genesis’
Let me know which one you would like to see and sometime in September, I will post a review of the album that gets the most votes. You have one week to decide and from there I will start listening to the album and do a review.
Thanks for participating!!
It is Hot! Hot! Hot! I’m talking about the weather though and not the new releases. There are a bunch this week, but nothing I am “hot” over. Maybe lukewarm. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Hopefully there is something here that will get you hot and excited about. If so, let me know what it is and let me know what I may have missed on the list so other people can see. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Stay Cool!!
- Adelitas Way – Shine On – (Vegas Syn / The Fuel Music): Adelitas Way isn’t an exciting rock band, but they are consistent. They have decent songs and there is always a few good songs worth grabbing and throwing in to a playlist. For that fact, I will give them a spin.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – August 14, 2020”
- Biffy Clyro – A Celebration of Endings – (14th Floor Records / Warner Music); This band came on my radar some years back when my brother-in-law engineered one of their albums. They a pretty interesting as they don’t settle on one thing, they like to try new things. These boys from Scotland always bring something worth while to the table and here is hoping for something new and awesome to digest!
The new album, ‘Notorious’, was released in October 2017 by The Vegas Syn/The Fuel Music. Adelitas Way is from Las Vegas and formed back in 2006. The band now consists of only Rick DeJesus on lead vocals, Trevor “Tre” Stafford on drums and Andrew Cushing on bass. Adelitas Way is an independent band and to get this album made they did a Pledgemusic campaign to help fund and after some time, we have this great straight-up rock & roll album. How long did it take? Well, the first single came out in September 2016 which is a little over a year before the album finally released.
The album is only 9 songs and at a little over 3 minutes for the average song, you are in and out in about 30 minutes. Straight and to the point. No filler, just a sonic blast of rock. I would rather have an album of 9 great songs than an album of 14 songs with a bunch of filler. After the slight disappoint I had with their last release, ‘Getaway’, ‘Notorious’ makes amends and proves they can still put out quality work.
The album opens with the title track and third single “Notorious” and comes screaming out of the gate with heavy drums and a wave of guitars. It is a modern rock song that fully assaults your senses before going straight into the first single from the album “Ready for War (Pray for Peace)”. This rocker doesn’t slow things down and DeJesus sounds great and delivers a catchy, memorable chorus that will make a great song to hear live. The crowd will be bouncing up and down with their hands in the air. Andrew Cushing’s bass is also a standout as well as some great guitar work.
Continue reading “Adelitas Way – ‘Notorious’ – Album Review”
October is flying by and there are a bunch of new ones available this week…even Christmas albums if you are so inclined. There are some brand new bands, some old favorites and some fabulous reissues/deluxe editions. My choices are highlighted in Blue. Let me know which ones you are interested in with a comment below. Thanks and have a great weekend.
- Sons of Apollo – Pyschotic Symphony – (Inside Out Music): Another supergroup and another one featuring Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy. If you liked in The Winery Dogs, this is not the Winery Dogs. This is a much heavier band with Jeff Scott Soto on lead vocals rather than Richie Kotzen. Also on the record is Bumblefoot on guitar and Derek Sherinian that make this a massive group with a massive sound. Can’t wait to dive into this one.
- Europe – Walk the Earth – (Silver Lining Music): Europe is still putting out quality albums after 35+ years in the business. The took most of the 90’s off, but came roar back in the 2000’s and have been non-stop ever since. I have held off from listening to anything on this one yet as I want to take it in all at once.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – October 20th”
2017 is upon us and always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet. From what I have gathered around the internet, here are the bands that should have new albums out in 2017, but no dates announced yet. The ones I want will be highlighted in Blue.
- Adelitas Way
- Adrenaline Mob
- Arcade Fire
- Avril Lavigne
- Bad Religion
- Callum Scott
- Charli XCX
- Christina Aguilera
- Coldplay – ‘Kaleidoscope’
- Dark Horse
- Demon Hunter – ‘Outlive’
Continue reading “What to Expect in 2017 for New Music??”
To continue my Throwback Thursday of the last two weeks, here are my Favorite albums of 2011 (in no particular order):
Soren Andersen – Constant Replay: This is an incredible debut album. The album name is accurate as it was on constant replay back when I got it. There are so many great songs and no fillers. I just love “Song About You”, “Black Lady”, “Lavender in My Calendar” and “Cold Shock”. Soren has toured as the lead guitarist in the Glenn Hughes Band and played on numerous albums including Mike Tramp. Put it on and enjoy the ride.
Continue reading “#TBT – Favorite Albums from 2011”
The new album, Getaway, was released in February 2016 by The Vegas Syn/The Fuel Music. Adelitas Way is from Las Vegas and formed back in 2006. The band consists of Rick DeJesus on lead vocals, Robert Zakaryan on lead guitar, Andrew Cushing on bass and Trevor Stafford on drums. They have consistently released solid albums and this one is no exception.
Their fourth release is a straight-up rock album with some great guitar riffs and I feel is the backbone of this album. Robert Zakaryan is definitely the standout. His sound goes great with DeJesus vocals.
The first half of this album is exactly what you would expect and rocks out. All the radio hits will probably come from this half. The back half for me, however, starts to feel like a bunch of filler and not enough solid songs. I will give them credit for changing it up a bit. All-in-all, this is a strong album and worth the price.
“Bad Reputation” – Keeper – Great start to this album. The guitar sound is hard and heavy and what you would want for a hard rock song.
“Getaway” – Keeper – They keep the fast driving pace up with this song. Chorus is memorable which is what you want in a song.
Continue reading “Adelitas Way – Getaway – Album Review – 64%”