You, my reader, are going to pick an album for me to review each month. It is really simple…first, I will give you 5 albums to choose from and second, you will tell me which one of those you would like to see reviewed on the site. See…simple! Now, if you want to cast more than one vote, comment on the Twitter and Facebook post and you could get up to 3 votes on your favorite pick.
There are a few simple rules I have put in to place in my selections. They are…
- One has to be a new release (within the last month)
- One has to be one I have never heard before (new releases don’t count for this one)
- One has to be from a genre I don’t normally listen to at all or very often
- And the last two are choices from my collection that I haven’t reviewed before
What are the 5 albums you ask? Funny you should ask because I have those right here…
New Release – Skillet – ‘Dominion
Never Heard Before – The Strokes – ‘This is It’
Not My Normal Genre – Drive-By Truckers – ‘Decoration Day’
From My Collection – Blue Oyster Cult – ‘Fire of Unknown Origin’
From My Collection – Royal Blood – ‘How Did We Get So Dark?”
Let me know which one you would like to see and sometime in February, I will post a review of the album that gets the most votes. You have one week to decide and from there I will start listening to the album and do a review.
Thanks for participating!!
2021 was not quite as strange as 2020 as things started to get back to normal. I got out to see a couple concerts and back to digging in the record stores and even went in to the office a few times. Covid pushed back a lot of albums in 2020 and they finally came out in 2021. Some were worth the wait and well, some weren’t. But there were some great releases and I am sure I missed a number of great albums and if you look around the web, there will be tons of Top Album lists you can get a pretty good idea of what you should check out in case you missed any of these.
This year I am doing things a little different. I am only doing one list post, but that list will be centered around my Favorite Rock Albums of the year. At the end I’ll give you my Top 5 Non-Rock Albums of the year as I didn’t listen to a ton of new releases this year as I was focused so much on my Kiss, Judas Priest, Queen and now Cheap Trick & Aerosmith Series. That took a lot of time.
Also note, these are MY FAVORITES!! These are not the most popular or trendy albums. You won’t find the cool trendy bands, because they are usually here today gone tomorrow. These are the albums that I connected with during the year and I kept coming back to again and again. And without further adieu, here are the Top Rock Albums of 2020:
THE TOP ROCK ALBUMS OF 2021:
#10 – Eclipse – ‘Wired’:
Eclipse is a melodic rock / glam rock /hard rock band out of Sweden and let me tell you Sweden knows how to pump out these bands. I think there are more rock bands in Sweden then there are people. It is just a guess. The two original guys, Erik Martensson and Magnus Henriksson. are back with their 9th album and they keep delivering. Erik’s vocals are killer and Magnus can lay down some riffs. The three opening tracks, “Roses On Your Grave”, “Dying Breed” and “Saturday Night (Hallelujah)” just suck you in and you know you are in good hands and just along for the ride at this point. Continue reading “The Top Albums of 2021”
2021 is upon us and it is always fun anticipating what new albums are and will come out in the year. There are quite a few we already know about, but some haven’t been officially announced or even a date set yet.
Last year, there were a few artist I was hoping would release an album that might have or might not have released one. It is always fun to hope for new music from these bands, but were disappointments. Here is who I was hoping for new albums from last year and what actually happened…
- Def Leppard – We did get the Def Leppard Box Set for The Early Years and the Live Box Set London to Vegas, BUT NOPE!! STILL NOTHING NEW!!
- Kiss – NOTHING!!
- Van Halen – NO! Sadly, this won’t happen with Eddie’s passing. I am now hoping for archive music.
- The Winery Dogs – NOTHING!! Still keeping my hopes up
- Guns ‘N Roses – NOTHING!!! Rumors, Rumors, Rumors!!
- Talisman – after getting a song to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the death of Marcel Jacob in 2019… NO ALBUM, we did get more Jeff Scott Soto music though.
- AC/DC – YES!! We got POWER UP and it is awesome!!
- Motley Crue – I thought with a Big Tour in 2020 with Def Leppard & Poison…is a new album far behind??? NOPE – No Music, No Tour thanks to Covid!!
- Poison – Same as Motley statement above!!! No Music, No Tour thanks to Covid!!
- Aldo Nova – He kept talking about a 2CD set, but he never got around to releasing it?? NOPE..still talking. He has released some songs, but still no album!!
- Matt Nathanson – No New Music but we got a Live album and a Christmas album
- Needtobreathe – YES!!! We got the incredible OUT OF BODY and it was one of their best!!
Okay, are there albums I want to see this year from some of my favorite bands that haven’t been announced or in some cases even rumored? Of course there are. These are the bands I want new albums from this year…but it might not happen.
Continue reading “What to Expect in New Music for 2021!!”
- Def Leppard – I don’t care if I get new music, but give me The Collection Volume 3 at least!!!
- Kiss – I will keep this on the list until I die!!
- The Winery Dogs – Still keeping my hopes up
- Guns ‘N Roses – Rumors, Rumors, Rumors!!
- Aldo Nova – He keeps talking about a 2CD set, but will he get around to releasing it??
- Matt Nathanson – Loved what we got last year, but time for new music!!! I believe he finished recording it, but haven’t heard anything for a long while.
Oh the Holidays! The end of the year. Christmas time. The time John is not supposed to buy any albums since it is the holidays and it is my birthday time period so no record purchases as people need to have something to give me as a gift. Well, that didn’t quite work this year.
I did set aside a list of albums people could buy for me for Christmas and/or my Birthday and I made sure that anything I picked up was not from that list. December turned out to be a treasure trove of purchases, gifts and free stuff. I definitely hit the jackpot with a crap load of albums to listen to and some day write about.
It all started mid-November when the Coke reward program was giving away $5 Amazon gift cards for every 10 bottle caps redeemed. Well, I had been collecting them at work as I do drink one Coke product everyday and on really stressful, busy days, maybe two. The $5 Amazon Gift cards were actually $10 because they allowed you to redeem it twice. After setting up a several more accounts with different email addresses, I was able to redeem $40 worth of caps (I would have done more, but I ran out of caps). What did I get with the $40 from Amazon? Music of course. I picked up the following:
Continue reading “Turntables & Vinyl #11 – The Holiday Treasure Trove”
Welcome to the Top 20 Rock Songs of 2017. These songs are my favorite songs of the year and were not necessarily played on the radio or even shot up the charts. They just moved me in some way good or bad!
If you missed the Top Rock Albums of 2017 or the Top Albums of 2017 (that were not Rock), just click on the link and go check them out.
It is time to start the list so here we go…
#20 – “Make It Move” by Jonny Lang off the album ‘Signs’: The loud stomping sound that opens the song and throughout feels like a train barreling down on you. The opening track to the album starts it all off with a bang. The song also delivers a great message that you need to make the move and not wait on something to happen.
Continue reading “Top Rock Songs of 2017”
2017 has been a fabulous year in music, but mostly for all the Anniversary Editions of some of my favorite albums from Def Leppard, Whitesnake and Stone Temple Pilots. However, there were some stellar Rock albums this year as well.
This list will be my favorite “Rock” albums of the year. All other types of music will be for a later post. I am going to leave this one to my favorite genre. It is a broad genre, but these are the albums that I consider to be ROCK!!
Also note, these are MY FAVORITES!! These are not the most popular or trendy albums. These are the albums that I connected with during the year and kept coming back to again and again. And without further adieu, here are the Top Rock Albums of 2017:
My #1 Album of the Year:
Jonny Lang – ‘Signs’: This album is straight-up Blues Rock and was one of two albums I can’t stop listening to this year. With songs like “Make It Move” and “Wisdom” how could I vote for any other album as #1. If that isn’t enough, Jonny’s guitar playing is sensational and his vocals are filled with so much emotion you are attached to these songs. Here is what I said in my review…He has brought a rawness back to his music that brings a more authentic blues sound and brings a lot of emotion. There is no reason you should skip out on listening to this album. (Click at the top to see the review).
Continue reading “The Top Rock Albums of 2017”
Happy Friday! It is time for more new releases and one I know everyone on earth is waiting to hear…that is right…Nickelback!! Your local police will be thrilled to have new Nickelback music to play and torment their prisoners. There is quite a lot and a little for everyone so take a look and start listening. My choices are highlighted in Blue.
- Nickelback – Feed the Machine – (Nickelback II Productions): Nickelback is back (no pun intended) to bring more enjoyment to our senses (this was supposed to come out as sarcasm, but sometimes it is tough to show that in writing). Will I give it a listen??? Maybe, not sure yet. I figured I would mention it since so many people do buy their albums and go see them in concert.
- Cheap Trick – We’re All Alright! – (Big Machine): The first of two childhood favorite bands with new albums. First up is Cheap Trick. I am glad to see them still cranking out new tunes as this is their 18th studio album and they actually released one last year as well. Will I give this one a listen…hell yeah!.
Continue reading “Friday New Releases – June 16th”